It would seem where we are, and where is Mexico. It is all the more surprising that the representatives of the semi-desert flora of cacti, aloe, agave feel great on our windowsills, as well as their girlfriend yucca. And although this plant is often called tropical, exotic, caring for a yucca at home is easy. And if the flower is naughty, perhaps you are not taking good care of it, but rather, too zealous.
We share the secrets of keeping, watering, transplanting, pruning, propagating the heat-loving “Mexican” in this article.
Lighting and seat selection. The southeastern and southwestern windows are ideal places for yucca.
Temperature mode. From early spring to early fall should maintain room temperature from 19 to 25 degrees. And from mid-autumn to the end of winter, from 8 to 10 degrees above zero.
Humidity and irrigation rules. Periodic wiping of dust from the leaves will suffice. To understand that there is a need for watering the plant, you need to pay attention to the shape of the foliage.
Fertilizer. Fertilize yucca, you need to once every three weeks in the summer and spring.
How to transplant. At least once every couple of years.
Cropping yucca. Yucca trimming should be done after "hibernation" in order to be in time before the vegetative period.
Reproduction. The most popular method of propagation is cuttings.
Pests and diseases. At home, yucca can harm thrips, scutes, aphids, etc. Excessive moisture leads to root decay, as well as stem rot, bacterial burns, etc.
Yucca: Plant Features
This monocotyledonous plant from the asparagus family has a woody stem, linear-lanceolate leaves with sharp ends, and is very popular as a houseplant grown at home. In some species, the stem part is almost completely absent, and the plant is represented by a bunch of xiphoid large foliage.
Flowering culture is relatively rare. Large-sized flowers, bell-shaped, white, drooping, collected in a panicle inflorescence. A significant number of yucca varieties are known, whose homeland is represented by the southern regions of America and Mexico. Many species under natural conditions grow in Central America, and are cultivated in the southern European part.
Tips for caring for a yucca (flower) at home
Yucca is a truly unique plant. It not only brings beauty and freshness to the house, but is also a very versatile plant. In addition to the listed, rather standard properties, yucca can be used both in food and in technical production.
In care, she is very unpretentious, but still have to make efforts to get a decent result. Yucca herself comes from North America, few people know about the fact that the first jeans contained the fibers of this amazing plant.
Yucca will easily fit into the interior of any house and you yourself will be amazed how harmoniously she can do it
You will learn more about how to choose a suitable variety, take care of it and much more.
Identification: what grows on the windowsill?
A roomy yucca with a strong lignified trunk and a fan of leaves on the crown is often reckoned with palm trees. There is an external resemblance, but only that. In fact, the plant belongs to the Agave family and has about 40 species, including more than 10 - grown in culture. In our latitudes you can find the following varieties of yuccas.
Yucca leaves cannot boast a bright color (although some varieties have yellow and white stripes), but they have a very spectacular shape: they can grow in a spiral, completely covering the tree trunk, and can stick up and to the sides.
Appearance of Yucca
In the wild, grows in the tropical and subtropical zone. Has upright inflorescences, up to two meters long. They sprout from the very center and resemble panicles in shape.
Yucca is not one of those green favorites that are acquired for beautiful flowering. Although yucca flowers resemble small bells, you can only see them when the yucca is old enough. However, with room care, it is quite difficult to see yucca flowers.
Indoor Yucca: signs and significance of a plant
The signs and superstitions associated with the cultivation of a thermophilic tropical plant in modern indoor floriculture characterize a highly decorative yucca as a "tree of happiness." This is an exotic plant. allows the grower to gather strength, and also increases self-esteem and self-confidence. Quarrels and scandals, as a rule, bypass the houses in which the yucca is grown. The atmosphere becomes cozy, comfortable for life and peaceful.
It is recommended to grow a plant if you wish to improve health, strengthen the nervous system, and also improve your financial situation. It is difficult to overestimate the positive value of a decorative indoor flower. The aboveground part helps to cleanse the air and improve its performance.
Giant or elephant yucca
The most common and interesting in decorative terms. It has a pronounced trunk, forming a thickening in the form of a skirt at the base, somewhat reminiscent of an elephant's leg. Hence one of the names. If the plant is not trimmed, it develops into a single stalk, and after branching, it branches.
Each such stem crowns a bunch of leaves. Yucca's ivory are dense, rigid, xiphoid. The leaf plate is wide (up to 8 cm), bright green in color, quite sharp at the edges, but without a spike at the apex.
In nature, this is a giant growing up to 9 m; in room culture, it is a large-sized 1.5–2 meter high.
Homemade Yucca Care
Care is as follows: you need a deep pot with high-quality drainage, which in the summer can be taken outside. With the onset of cold weather, it is advisable to keep the yucca in a lighted but cool room.
It is also necessary to maintain sufficient humidity and make sure that the composition of the soil matches the desired name. Do not forget about the timely control of pests and the treatment of diseases in yucca. Be sure to make the required fertilizer. Correctly carry out the process of transplantation and reproduction.
Soil and flower pot selection
In order to properly plant and grow a room yucca, it is very important to correctly choose a flower pot, as well as purchase a quality flower substrate. In the process of choosing a landing container and soil for growing roomy yucca it is recommended to follow simple rules:
- the inner diameter of the flower pot must be larger than the size of the root system of the plant by about a couple of centimeters,
- the depth should allow the drainage layer and the soil nutrient mixture to be placed in the pot,
- it is best to keep a house flower at home in sufficiently stable and high-quality clay pots,
- indoor yucca can be cultivated in a fairly wide range of soil acidity, but the optimal pH should be in the range of 5.6-7.5,
- the composition of the soil mixture should include part of the turfy soil, part of the rotted compost, part of the humus soil and part of the medium-grained sand or perlite,
- prepared soil mixtures can also be replaced with soil based on part of pumice or slag, part of crushed pine bark, part of dolomite gravel or small pebble, part of peat crumb or part of medium-sized charcoal with the addition of coarse perlite and bone meal.
Properly prepared soil substrate should ensure the absence of stagnation of water. Drainage is carried out using pumice, pebbles, coarse perlite, coarse sand, granite, medium-sized wood chips and coarse peat.
Outwardly similar to the previous view, but in nature has a more modest size. In addition, different leaves. They have shorter, narrower flowers with a pointed tip (needle-shaped) at this indoor flower. The color of the leaves is pale green, with a bluish tinge.
Lighting and location selection
To avoid problems with a beautiful formation, yucca needs to provide a sufficient amount of light. Especially this factor has an effect on the growth of young plants. However, do not forget that, due to their youth, they are quite vulnerable to burning sun rays. So in the sunny zenith, the yucca should be slightly shaded - removed from the sunny windowsill.
Illumination and seat selection
There Yucca will not lack the sun. Otherwise, the consequences will be sad: the leaves will turn pale and yellow, or they will become food for the mealybug.
Important in winter it is necessary to make additional lighting. In our country, the daylight of yucca should be extended to 17 hours. Fluorescent lamps are great for this. They can be purchased at a specialty store.
Yucca landing rules
Planting a room yucca is carried out according to the following simple technology:
- before planting, the root system of the plant needs to be soaked for an hour in water at room temperature,
- at the bottom of the flower pot, you need to pour a sufficient drainage layer, represented by expanded clay or medium-sized gravel,
- a small amount of soil substrate is poured onto the drainage layer and the root system of the yucca is established,
- sprinkle the roots of the plant with soil and carefully tamp the soil,
- even insignificant air pockets should not remain around the root system of a properly planted plant.
In the process of transplanting, you can also plant a decorative indoor plant. PAfter planting, the soil in a flower pot is well spilled with warm, defended water. Indoor yucca is a rather unpretentious and very decorative plant, which even beginner and inexperienced amateur gardeners can take care of easily.
How to prepare a yucca for winter. Rules for a successful wintering
The key to successful wintering of the flower is adequate autumn care and preparation of the flower for the cold. Recommendations on how to prepare a garden yucca for winter are simple and even a beginner grower can do. They insulate and choose the type of shelter for the flower, depending on climatic conditions and the characteristics of the cold period in the region.
Prepare yucca for the winter as follows:
- remove dried inflorescences and leaves, damaged parts of the plant,
- feed the plant with mineral fertilizers,
- to cover the flower with a dense shelter that will allow you to maintain the optimum temperature for the plant, do not miss the cold and the formation of dampness.
The main thing to remember is that the garden yucca normally tolerates frost up to -20 ° C. Therefore, if the winter in the region is much warmer, you should not particularly zealous - the plant can ripen and rot under cover. Also, you do not need to fill in the yucca and make a large amount of feeding. The flower is drought tolerant and does not need large doses of fertilizer. You should think about the future wintering even when landing and choose a sunny, but protected from winds and drafts place.
One of the stemless species that have taken root in room culture.At a young age, it is a bush of one or more rosettes of large lanceolate leaves with a prickly needle at the top and notches along the edge of the plate. Over time, the lower leaves die off, a short stem appears below (like a pineapple).
In the photo - Yu. Glorious, variegated form
If the thermometer drops above 25, then it is simply necessary to ensure sufficient humidity for the yucca. This can be done by spraying yucca from a spray bottle, as well as moistening the expanded clay on which the flower pot is located.
- In this case, a yucca requires 8 to 10 degrees above zero from mid-autumn to late winter.
- An ideal room in a city apartment for yucca is a heated balcony or loggia. There she will feel comfortable.
- In the absence of the necessary cool room, you should place the yucca closer to the window. In conditions of periodic ventilation, the yucca will endure winter with minimal damage to growth and development. However, keep in mind that in some cases, especially with a sharp drop in temperature, it can die.
The most common among indoor growing are:
- The yucca is elephant. The birthplace of this species is South America. The name of the species was due to a kind of trunk in the form of an elephant's leg. During flowering, a panicle inflorescence with many white flowers appears in the plant. They can reach up to 7 cm in length.
- Yucca is filamentous. A plant that does not have a main stem can grow due to root shoots and offspring. Leaves of this species are pointed to the ends, reaching more than 50 cm in length. During the growing season produces a panicle with large inflorescences up to 10 cm. They have a white color with a yellow tint.
- Yucca Elefantis. Under natural conditions, it can reach more than 7 meters in height. In indoor conditions it grows slowly, capable of reaching growth of up to 2 meters. It has a thick trunk, at the top there are green leaves, lowered to the bottom.
Important! All varieties of room palm trees have distinctive features in appearance and color. But they require the same care at home.
Lighting and temperature requirements
At home, flower growers, as a rule, rarely encounter problems when growing tropical yucca. However very important follow certain cultivation requirements, especially when growing aloe-elongated room yucca. A houseplant is very photophilous, so it is necessary to provide bright, but fairly diffused lighting.
With insufficient lighting, a tropical indoor flower may lose its highly decorative appearance, but direct sunlight also has an undesirable effect on the aerial part of the culture. With a lack of light, the foliage of a roomy false palm begins to stretch and gradually depletes. If necessary, artificial illumination by phyto-lamps or fluorescent lamps is allowed. The best place for the plant to be located in apartment conditions is the south side of the room, at some distance from the window.
The temperature in the room should be comfortable for optimal growth and full development of a decorative indoor plant. The ambient temperature in the summer at the level of 18-20 ° C is considered to be favorable. In the warm season, a flower pot with room yucca is best taken to a balcony or a loggia, since fresh air is beneficial to a tropical plant.
It is important to know not only how to warm a yucca for the winter, but also with what. Even before the onset of the first strong frosts in dry weather, it is recommended that the main part of the leaves be tied in a bunch around the trunk. The resulting bundle is tightly wrapped so that it does not bloom. The lower tier of leaves is left on the ground to serve as protection for the root system. Additionally, the leaves can be covered with dry foliage, pressing it with something.You can bind all the leaves, and cover the roots with an additional layer of soil and mulch. For a mild continental winter this shelter will be enough. Young immature plants can be covered with plastic containers, which should be well pressed into the ground.
In severe winters, both young and old plants are recommended to be covered with an additional wireframe method. In this case, wooden square or cone-shaped frames are constructed, which are wrapped with agrofibre or spanbond. In Siberia, a yucca is covered with wooden crates, which are insulated with a special material, and on top an additional layer of snow. After removing the shelter in the spring, do not immediately cut off the yellowed and frost-bitten leaves - the plant needs a period of adaptation. Only when the yucca begins to throw away young leaves can we begin sanitary pruning.
Yucca filamentous (filamentoza)
The most frost-resistant species, suitable in our latitudes for growing in the garden. A perennial shrub does not have a pronounced trunk, consists of a group of rosettes of different ages. Each of them for 2-3 years of development throws out an amazingly beautiful flower stalk - a long magnificent panicle, consisting of 200 or more white bells with a diameter of 6-7 cm.
The view is recognizable by thin twisted threads exfoliating from a sheet plate. In indoor conditions, if you do not provide a cold content in winter, it will not bloom.
How to irrigate and fertilize yucca
Dressing room yuccas is carried out in the period from April to the last days of August. Fertilizer is applied once every two to three weeks. It is best to use solutions based on complex mineral fertilizers for feeding a false palm. Optimal are foliar top dressing on the underside of the foliage of the plant.
Experienced flower growers recommend using “Peat Oxidate” fertilizer from Belarusian producers to nourish a highly decorative room culture. You can not apply dressing immediately after transplanting the plant or during the implementation of therapeutic measures.
You need to water the yucca with non-chlorine and standing water at room temperature. During the summer period, you need to water the indoor yucca abundantly, after the top layer of soil in the flower pot dries by about five to seven centimeters. At optimal indoor temperatures, irrigation measures are carried out approximately once a week, based on the calculation of a liter of warm water per five liters of soil.
In early spring as well as late in autumn and winter, the volume of water used for irrigation and the number of irrigation measures should be reduced, which will prevent the rotting of the root system of the plant. Large specimens with a large number of foliage are characterized by sufficiently rapid evaporation of moisture, so watering should be the most abundant and most frequent. If the temperature is high or the summer is too hot, you need to water the plant more often, but taking into account the depth of drying of the earthen coma.
Suitable temperature and humidity
Yucca normally tolerates drought, but excessive frequent watering can be detrimental to her. Even in summer, the plant is watered infrequently, and in autumn the number of waterings is reduced to a minimum. For the winter, they moisturize the root zone well and mulch it to preserve moisture for the entire period of shelter. A gradual decrease in temperature is also normal for a flower. For the plant’s dormant period, the temperature in the shelter should be several degrees higher than the street temperature and not rise above 10 ° C, otherwise the yucca will mate. Therefore, at the established minimum positive temperature, the shelter must be removed.
Another species that is grown both in pot culture and in open ground. It is similar to Yu. Filamentous, but its leaves are short and narrow, and the plant itself resembles a prickly ball. Blossoms in beautiful creamy white panicle inflorescences.
When cultivating it at home, there are certain nuances and requirements:
- Creation of favorable conditions close to a normal environment.
- Timely transplantation, soil preparation.
- Feeding, pest treatment.
To achieve a beautiful palm-shaped look, you need to trim the trunk. After time, shoots form on it. Over time, they will get stronger, and get a few trunks.
Important! Yucca palm requires free space, as it is large. It is an unpretentious evergreen plant. With sufficient and proper care, the owner will be pleased for a long time.
Pest and Disease Control
Among the most common problems that may accompany the cultivation of a roomy false palm, defeat by diseases of improper care and damage by plant parasites include:
- spottingcaused by fungi and affecting primarily the old foliage, as well as the stem, on which colorless or yellowish-brown spots form. The disease provokes high humidity, and fungicides are used for treatment,
- fungal rotb, affecting the crown of the plant and often causing a fairly rapid death of the false palm,
- fungal infection cercosporosisaccompanied by the appearance on the surface of the foliage of brown growing spots. The fight against the disease is to stop spraying, reduce air humidity, remove the affected stems and treat the aerial parts of the plant with a fungicide,
- white rot accompanied by discoloration of the leaves and the appearance of watery spots with a white coating. On the slices, you can see the formation of black. The disease causes a decrease in temperature to 12-15 ° C and an increase in humidity.
Of the insect pests, the greatest damage to the false palm is caused by a spider mite, aphid and mealybug. The plant must be subjected to regular inspections, and if necessary, to produce competent medical measures.
Yucca does not need frequent fertilizer. Usually a flower is fed twice a year before and after flowering. Nitrogen-containing fertilizers are not recommended for use at all. Mineral fertilizers for succulents, compost or humus diluted with water are optimal for top dressing. Top dressing can be foliar. For this, the leaves of the flower are sprayed with fertilizer.
Despite its southern origin, yucca tolerates winter well.
The main thing is to provide the flower with adequate care and take care of the shelter. And then she will delight not only with beautiful flowers, but also with a pleasant aroma.
How to transplant a yucca
The main sign that it’s time to transplant the yucca is the bifurcation of the trunk. But the transplant must be done correctly so as not to harm.
yucca trunk bifurcation
First you need to decide on the time of year. In winter, it is better not to transplant a yucca so as not to disturb the rest period. The most suitable time is spring. Even if root damage occurs, then at this important time of increased growth and strength, the yucca will be able to rehabilitate.
The exception is only the time of purchase of the plant. It is important to transplant the acquired yucca in the next two days. This is necessary because the transportation of plants for sales is carried out in a special, short-lived substrate.
- Before the transplant, it is worth taking care of the flowerpot so that it is a couple of centimeters in diameter larger than the previous one. This is necessary for the further development of the root system.
- Clay or ceramics is considered an excellent material for a yucca pot. They let oxygen through better and are made from natural ingredients, thereby ensuring proper care.
- If there are no drainage holes in the flower container, then it is worth making them yourself, in order to avoid decay of the roots.
- The role of drainage can be performed by chipped brick or eggshell.
- Soil pours out on top for drainage.It can be purchased at a specialty store or made with your own hands. Mandatory component is sand, for quick absorption of moisture, as well as turf and humus.
- When transplanting a yucca, you must not violate the density of the earth. The process must be carried out by transshipment.
- After transshipment, it is necessary to sprinkle with soil on top and compact with fingers or a special tool.
- After yucca should be generously watered.
Loves - does not love: features of the content
The story of how to care for a houseplant, we start with the conditions of detention. So what does yucca love?
- Good lighting. The optimal location in the room is opposite the south, east, west windows, at some distance from the light source or directly on the windowsill. Comfortable daylight hours for yucca are 12–16 hours. Unlike garden views, it prefers not direct sunlight, but diffused light.
Roomy yuccas are good for fresh air. In summer, if possible, they are recommended to be taken out to the garden or to the balcony. To prevent leaves from getting a sunburn, give the plants a place under a light canopy, in partial shade of trees.
If you can’t create conditions close to natural, exclude at least factors that Yucca does not like. And this:
- shadow content,
- a combination of high temperature and poor lighting (especially in winter),
- a combination of cold with waterlogging of an earthen coma,
- hypothermia (below 8 ° C),
To summarize briefly, in summer, the room where the yucca is kept should be warm and light, moderate watering. In winter, it is cool and light, with minimal watering.
Pruning of a yucca flower stalk after flowering. Care
If during planting the requirements of agricultural technology are met, further care for yucca in the open ground is simple.
The plant is undemanding to moisture, but with air it is just the opposite. We provide its inflow to the roots by regularly loosening the root zone. The process is time-consuming, so that every time after the rain do not clutch at the chopper, we advise you to mulch the planting. Than? Pebbles, decorative expanded clay, fragments of bark, pine cones are suitable.
With watering in general, you need to be careful. In the Moscow Region, the middle zone, Belarus, in the north and west of Ukraine, natural precipitation is sufficient for yucca filamentous, it is not necessary to water it. In the sultry southern regions, except for rains, they practice 1-2 waterings per month. But this is the maximum!
Overflow is the most common mistake when caring for a yucca. Determine that it needs moisture can be on the leaves. If they curled into a tube, and the threads droop, it is time to water the plant.
Regarding top dressing, we recommend that you adhere to the following rules.
- Fertilize bushes in early spring.
- Be careful with organics, it is better to use mineral complexes.
- Do not get carried away with nitrogen. For yucca, phosphorus-potassium fertilizers are preferred for flowering plants.
- Better underfeeding than overfeeding.
Inspect the bushes from time to time for diseases and pests. During flowering, the plant is susceptible to infection by aphids. If there are few pests, use folk remedies for the fight - concentrated infusion of onions, garlic, tobacco. Heavily infected flower beds are sprayed with insecticides.
After flowering, do not rush to prune the peduncle. At its base, "babies" are laid for the renewal of the mother plant. When pruning, a stump 20–25 cm high is left.
Yucca requires a lot of light and sun. The most successful place for her is the windows of the south, southeast and southwest orientation.
- Particularly important is the good illumination for young plants to ensure their proper formation. Wherein young plants are more sensitive than adults to sun exposure, therefore, in the hottest time they need to be shaded or moved away from the window.
- The lack of light affects the plant adversely. Shoots ugly stretch and twist. Leaves become thinner, turn pale, begin to turn yellow and fall.The plant weakens and pests can appear on it, for example, mealybug or spider mite.
Sufficient light is needed for yucca in wintertherefore, during this period it is advisable to organize additional artificial lighting for the plant, bringing the daylight hours to 16 hours a day.
Yucca propagation features
Today there are many different methods for propagating this amazing plant at home. The very first is to grow flower seeds from.
Important to understand, to propagate a yucca with this method, a lot of patience is needed, because a big one will grow in a couple of years.
The most popular and easiest method is to propagate the tops. Just remember to dry the cut piece a little.
It is imperative to adhere to strict rules for care and reproduction. In order not to harm the mother plant and its children. By the way, yucca babies can appear already in the first years of life. And their separation quite favorably affects the development of the "mother". There remains more strength for their own growth.
It consists of the following actions:
- optimal temperature and lighting
- moderate humidity and excessive watering,
- fertile soil composition, drainage,
- fertilizer fertilizing,
- transplantation and methods of reproduction,
- timely control of diseases and pests.
In order to get a healthy indoor plant and achieve flowering, it is necessary to create conditions similar to natural ones.
During the growing season (from March to September), the temperature comfortable for yucca is 20-24 degrees. In hotter conditions, increased air humidity (spraying, placement on a pallet with wet expanded clay) is necessary. The higher the temperature, the higher its humidity should be.
- The problem when caring for yucca at home is the need in the winter period (from October to February) to provide the plant with a cool temperature of 8-10 degrees Celsius.
- It is good if the house has a suitable room, for example, a heated loggia, where you can place a yucca at this time.
- If not, place the pot on the windowsill, moving it closer to the glass and periodically open the window, and if the design of the windows allows, open the sashes for winter ventilation.
At the same time, it must be remembered that sudden changes in temperature and drafts of yucca are painful and sometimes die from this.
Yucca is trimmed so that the yucca grows in a lush bush. When it is cut, branching of the shoots begins, followed by the cultivation of leaf caps on them.
Cropping yucca photo
When the trunk is greatly extended, it loses its decorative appearance. Such a yucca no longer adorns the room, but rather the opposite.
In care, it is important to understand that after trimming the trunk will cease to grow up, just new shoots will appear from it. The main thing is not to cut the trunk, whose diameter is less than 5-6 cm, and is close to the ground.
The cropped yucca trunk very quickly begins to lose moisture, to prevent overdrying, pour it with paraffin.
It is important to carry out pruning with a very sharp blade or secateurs, having previously sterilized the instrument. These measures are necessary to avoid decay. And you need to cut it with lightning-fast movement of the hand, but if you break the trunk and pick it, negative consequences are possible.
After trimming, put the yucca in partial shade and water it once every seven days.
Let's start with the planting material. This can be a rooted stem of a yucca or a finished plant purchased in a garden center - in this case, by planting we mean transshipment from a transportation container into a permanent pot.
You can buy ready-made substrate for planting - choose mixtures intended for palm trees, dracaena, yucca. If you decide to make it yourself, you will need the following components (the number of parts is indicated in brackets):
- turf land (1),
- rotted leaf or coniferous litter (1),
- coarse river sand (1.5),
- humus (0.5).
Leafy soil can be replaced or combined with peat, instead of humus, take plant compost or purchased vermicompost.
For adult pseudo-palm trees, the soil needs more dense, in which at least half is turf ground.
The pot for planting is taken deep, drainage is necessarily laid on the bottom. The size is determined in such a way that the root ball enters freely, and a gap of 1-1.5 cm remains along the edge.
If you have any questions, we have a separate article about landing yuccas, additional information can also be found in the video on the topic.
How to water a yucca?
The answer to this question is given by Yucca herself. The size and age of the plant, the type of pot and soil, season affect the frequency and volume of watering.
On average, you need to water a flower once a week. Watering indicators are leaves and soil. Leaves arched bent downward indicate that the plant has not yet been watered.
The leaves begin to curl into a tube around the center line, and the ground becomes 5-7 cm dry - you need to water the yucca. Timely watering can be plentiful, but the water must be completely absorbed and not drain into the pan.
- If the air is dry in the winter in the room or the plant was taken out into the open air in the summer, then it can be sprayed in about a day.
- A flower drinks water with leaves and moisture drops imitate dew and its natural habitat for it. In any case, sensitive leaves occasionally need to be carefully cleaned, cleaning from dust.
- Water the plant only with standing water at room temperature.
Do not allow excess moisture in the soil. Increased soil moisture can lead to a disease in the form of grayish-brown spots on the leaves. Sick leaves will have to be removed, and the flower itself should be sprayed with a fungicide.
To prevent acidification of the soil, it is recommended to use filtered, or at least standing water for irrigation.
It can also be softened with peat. To do this, 100 g of peat chips are placed in a tissue bag and dipped in a container with 10 l of water, soaked in a day. It is also a light mineral-organic fertilizing.
What determines the frequency of watering?
- On the size of the plant. Large adult specimens are watered less often than small specimens.
- From the volume of soil. In a 5-liter pot, the soil will dry out faster than in a tub of 15–20 liters.
- From the time of year. In summer, the palm grows actively, expends more moisture, in winter - falls into suspended animation, hardly drinks.
- From the temperature in the room. The hotter the faster the earth dries. This also applies to winter, if it is not possible to lower the temperature to 10-14 ° C.
- From air humidity. In a dry room watered more often.
Yucca does not require spraying the leaves, but sometimes it is necessary to arrange a washing so that the plant does not become dusty and does not lose its attractiveness. In summer, there is enough rain washings in the open air. If in winter the yucca is kept in a room with central heating, then it is advisable to spray at least once a day.
- When spraying yucca in the sun, sunburn spots may appear on its leaves.
- For better decorativeness, it is necessary to wash the plant from time to time under a shower or under a stream of water, making sure that water does not get on the substrate (for example, close the pot with polyethylene).
- The most common types of yucca in indoor floriculture - elephant yucca (Yucca elephantipes) and aloe-yucca (Yucca aloifolia) - do not require spraying.
- Yucca does not need too much water. In the summer, you can water the yucca only once a week.
It has already been mentioned that yucca usually does not bloom in an apartment. And that means getting seeds is extremely difficult.
Propagation of Yucca by Seeds
But it is quite possible to get them in a specialized store. If you are lucky enough to find seeds, then it is important:
- check seeds for germination:
- put in water for 24 hours,
- prepare the substrate from a mixture of sand, turf and humus,
- cover the pot with seeds with a bag to maintain the necessary moisture,
- ventilate seedlings,
You can get your first little "palms" already a month after planting, the main thing is to provide them with proper care.
Yucca room loves bright lighting. Due to a deficiency in the palm, leaves may be stretched, becoming dull. It is better to place the pot with the plant near the window on the south side so that most of the light falls on it. To do this, avoid direct sunlight, so as not to get burns on the leaves.
The optimum temperature in the hot season is 20-25 degrees. Every day, you can take the plant to fresh air for ventilation, avoiding strong winds and drafts. Do not allow the temperature to drop below 8 degrees, this can be fatal to the flower. In winter, it is better for a palm tree to organize additional lighting. The temperature during winter rest should not exceed 10-15 degrees.
It is quite possible to propagate yucca at home using cuttings. They are cut from the barrel with a special processed tool.
Cuttings of yucca photo
In order for the yucca stalk to take root, it must be laid horizontally on previously moistened soil. When the roots appear, the shoot must be planted in another pot. Care and water as needed.
What is a homemade yucca palm tree
It is constantly green, with non-falling, hard xiphoid leaves, tree-like (that is, having a fairly elastic woody stem), a shrub of the Asparagaceae family, which the Indians called the "tree of life," or the "tree of happiness."
The decorative appearance of the plant resembles a small, false palm: its pointed, serrate leaves (lanceolate), serrate leaves are localized at the end of the stem, or several branches.
Yucca flowers are numerous, very fragrant, resembling large white or soft cream bells (up to 7 centimeters in length), hanging on short pedicels, form the so-called “panicle” (up to 2.5 meters in diameter!).
At the end of the growing season, a fruit appears in place of the flower, a fleshy, juicy berry, or box.
You can enjoy the excellent aroma of the "tree of life" only at night - this is the only time of day when they open.
Unfortunately, when kept indoors, the plant rarely blooms and never bears fruit, since it is pollinated only through the special tropical butterflies Pronuba yuccasella.
Yucca (Yússa) is distinguished by a rather large number of its species. According to some encyclopedic data, for example, The Plant List, specialists count 50 different taxonomic groups in the genus Jucca, growing in areas of Central and South America, as well as Mexico.
The genus itself is classified into three uneven sections:
Here is a list of species of this shrub, depending on its belonging to a particular section (subspecies):
|Yucca Aloe||Short-leaved Yucca, or Joshua Tree||Yucca high|
|Yucca berry (berry-bearing)||Yucca is beak-like||Yucca Arkansas|
|Yucca||Yucca Whiplash||Yucca Bailey|
|Glorious yucca||Yucca filament|
|Yucca is giant, she is elephant, she is Guatemalan||Yucca Sizaya|
|Yucca Trekulian (Trekulya)|
Of all yucca species, the most common home-grown species are:
- Yucca aloifolia (Yucca aloifolia), which gardeners love for the lack of side shoots and lush flowering,
- a vipla (Yucca whipplei), in the form of a bush with a short stem,
- Yucca beak-shaped (Yucca rostrata), growing impressive size, with long, thin leaves and beautiful flowers,
- short-leaved yucca (Yucca brevifolia), with strongly branched, densely planted short leaves,
- Yucca elephant (Yucca elephantipes), most often found at home, because it is unpretentious in care and pleases the owners with its medicinal properties (helps with arthritis, inflammatory processes, atherosclerosis as a local remedy in the form of extracts and decoction),
- Trekulea (Yucca treculeana), with a lush crown of bluish-green color, with cream bells.
A wide variety of “tree of happiness” will allow each gardener to choose a plant for their liking, and decorate their windowsill with them, or organize a small greenhouse of several types, and it will certainly bring prosperity and peace to the house.
Propagation by parts of the trunk
When the yucca stretches up, it is possible to carry out reproduction by parts of its trunk. The top is cut off, and then the desired number of parts is separated below. Do not cut the trunk into a large number of parts, so as not to harm its health and development. How to root cut cuttings is said above.
Pests and diseases
Each florist, at least once his practice, associated with a diseased plant that was attacked by pests. Started yucca, then be prepared that you have to face this again. To combat insects, created a large number of drugs that can be bought in special stores. Some popular methods of pest control may turn out to be quite effective.
The main cause of disease is over watering.
You can cook yourself by mixing from equal parts:
- turf land
- sheet land
Before the landing procedure, it is necessary to organize good drainage. It is allowed to lay a layer of expanded clay or large gravel on the bottom of the pot. The organization of drainage is a prerequisite for the full growth of the flower.
Yucca transplant at home happens:
- primary - from transportation soil to permanent,
- planned (regular) - every 2-3 years,
- emergency (extraordinary) - with diseases of the root system.
Consider when and why you need a planned plant transplant.
Determining that a yucca has outgrown an old pot is simple enough.
- The plant loses resistance, falls over under its own weight.
- The roots completely braided the soil and go out through the drainage hole.
- Water has become worse absorbed.
- New leaves grow slower than usual.
Plan a houseplant transplant in spring. Prepare a fresh substrate in advance (the composition is the same as for planting), drainage, a larger pot.
Before a responsible event, do not water the plant for several days, especially if the soil is depleted and needs to be removed to the maximum. If the land is good, transshipment will be less painful - remove a third of the old substrate in the upper part of the earthen coma.
Before placing the palm in a new pot, carefully inspect the roots. They should be light, elastic. Cut the blackened, softened pieces to a living tissue, rub the sections with wood ash.
Yu. Ivory flower is not recommended to transplant often. A small pot is useful for her, since in this case the leaves grow slowly, naturally age, dry out, form a trunk. A large amount of land, on the contrary, stimulates the development of roots, the growth of green mass, and the trunk is formed worse.
You can get acquainted with other aspects and subtleties of a plant transplantation in a detailed article devoted to this topic.
The most common insects that cause damage to the plant are pseudoscutum and spider mite.
Spider mites on the leaves photo
As a result of the appearance of the tick, palm leaves grow dull and fall off. Typically, a tick is formed on the back of the sheet.
But the scabbard is a lover of not only leaves, but also the palm tree trunk. With pests you need to start fighting. And the sooner this is done, the more chances are that the yucca "will get off with a slight fright."
An excellent method for controlling insects is wiping leaves with a solution of soap. But for prevention, it is still better to treat the entire plant with insecticides.
Chemical products for the control of scale insects photo
Watering and irrigation directly depends on environmental conditions. At high temperatures and low humidity, watering a room tree is necessary every 2-3 days. Spraying is carried out daily, especially in the summer. The top layer of the earth will serve as a signal of watering. If it is dry, it is necessary to water the plant with settled water at room temperature.
In autumn and winter, watering should be reduced to 1 time per week. With an excess of moisture, twisted leaves appear on the palm tree, with the formation of spotting on them. When watering, it is important that the water does not fall on the leaf outlet, and also stagnates in the pot to prevent root decay.
Why leaves turn yellow
If the yucca leaves began to turn yellow, then this is not a reason to panic. Perhaps there is a natural withering away of old foliage. This usually occurs with leaves growing at the bottom of the trunk.
yucca leaves began to turn yellow
However, if after the leaf turns yellow, it becomes brown, it means that there is a chance that the plant fell ill with “brown spotting”. You should immediately begin treatment.
If the leaves turn yellow in the winter season, it is possible that the reason was excessive watering. In winter, the Yucca has a rest period and it is practically not necessary to water it.
Flowers are the only thing you can not wait for from the yucca contained in captivity. The fact is that for laying a flower bud you need to withstand the rest period (November – February) with a temperature in the range of 10–14 ° С and daylight hours of at least 12–14 hours. In addition, only an adult plant blooms (from 7-10 years).
Try to bring the conditions of detention closer to the natural environment, then the emission of the peduncle will be quite real.
Why do the leaves dry
- Drying leaves may die out
- Lack of light
- Dry air
dried leaves in yucca flower
Reproduction of indoor flower
Available methods of reproduction:
- apical cuttings,
- root offspring
- fragments of the trunk.
There is still a seed method, but we won’t talk about it, since it is problematic to get room yucca seeds, and such a plant develops very slowly.
Material for vegetative propagation is obtained by pruning. Firstly, it is the top, which is rooted either in water or in a moist substrate consisting of sand and peat. After 1.5–2 months, it will definitely give root, and you will get a new, rather large plant.
Secondly, the kidneys awaken on the cut trunk. You will leave something for the second-order trunks, but there will be extra shoots or grown out of place. With a sharp knife, they will be separated with a piece of bark, rooted in the same way as the top.
Rarely, it happens that root offspring emerge at the base of a yucca. You need to wait until they get stronger and set off.
If a piece of the trunk remains after pruning a palm tree, it is divided into fragments 20–25 cm long and horizontally recessed into a moist substrate approximately halfway. Gradually, in the sinuses, the kidneys awaken and shoots. Wait until strong roots appear, separate the stalk along with a piece of the trunk, and plant in a pot.
How to care for leaves, dust removal
Unpretentious indoor flower is able to survive the arid climate. To maintain humidity, it is important to spray daily in the summer. In autumn, irrigation is done every other day. For the procedure, it is better to use clean, settled water at room temperature. Wipe the leaves regularly with a damp cloth, removing them from dirt and dust.
In the evening you can have a shower. To do this, put the pots on a pallet and water from a hose. Once a week, it is recommended to treat the leaves with soap and water, then rinse with clean water.
Yucca after the winter. Adult perennial formation
Yucca, cultivated in the open ground, most often grows with bushes consisting of several rosettes of large xiphoid leaves. Over time, the mother plant overgrows with root offspring. The bush thickens, which does not affect its condition in the best way.
- The area of nutrition decreases, the plant grows smaller, weakens.
- The air permeability of the soil in the region of the roots is deteriorating, they can rot.
- Its decorativeness is reduced.
- Weak specimens do not have enough strength for flowering.
Every year, bushes need to be thinned, leaving the largest, strongest rosettes, usually 3-5 on 1 m². Often after flowering, the mother plant dries out. It's okay, this is typical for agavas. Instead, leave a young bush.
Someone thinnes out a yucca in the fall, some leave these works in the spring. In our opinion, the second option is preferable. First, a thickened bush is easier to winter. Secondly, during spring thinning, extra outlets can be used for reproduction, but in autumn they will have to be thrown away most quickly.
Yucca garden blooms not immediately after planting, but in the second, third, sometimes fourth year. Its flower stalk is strong, woody, rises by 1.5–2 m, forms a branched panicle, consisting of hundreds of white, greenish, cream bells. After flowering, it must be cut with secateurs or sawed off with a hacksaw. It won’t work out differently. It makes no sense to collect seeds, it is easier to propagate the flower by root offspring.
In addition, in spring and autumn it is necessary to clean the base of the bush from old, damaged, dried leaves. Over time, you can get an interesting palm-shaped trunk, which only adds yucca decorative.
Once the plant has rested, you can begin to move it.
First of all, you need to prepare the capacity:
- scald the pot, brought to a boil with clean water,
- or treated with a disinfectant solution (a solution of furatsilin, for example, is suitable).
The next step is to fill the drainage layer at the bottom of the new pot. This is about 2-4 centimeters of broken shards, or brick crumbs, also previously scalded.
The shards are sprinkled a little with the following soil composition with a slightly acidic or neutral reaction (pH 5-7):
- 2 volumes of clay-sod land,
- 2 volumes of good humus,
- 1 volume of peat,
- 1 volume of scalded river fine sand.
Further, the plant is very carefully removed from its old "place of residence": if the young yucca is transplanted, then the plant will easily "pop out" of the plastic packaging, it is enough to crush it a little on the sides.
The root of the released plant is shaken off a little from the soil, and the plant is inspected: the decayed parts of the root system are carefully removed, and mechanically damaged ones are dusted with crushed coal.
Then they put it in a new pot, and fill it with soil mixture almost to the top.
Attention! The plant is under stress after transplantation, and its functions will be slightly depressed. Therefore, watering for the first time is not necessary much — just soak the soil with water with a biostimulant diluted in it (for example, Epin), and put it in a “quiet” (that is, without drafts and noise), bright place.
The soil surface with a planted plant is in no case covered with expanded clay! Moisture should naturally evaporate.
In its natural environment, yucca breeds in several ways:
- basal offspring,
In greenhouse conditions from seeds, growing is problematic because of their absence: after all, it is not able to pollinate.
However, the “Tree of Happiness” is quite possible to grow from high-quality purchased seeds, but this is not a quick task: at least two years will pass before a good, viable yucca seedling appears.
The process, despite the duration, is not complicated: the seeds are sown in early spring, wait for seedlings and take care of them until they are strong enough for transplanting.
The most tried-and-tested way to get several from one plant is cuttings: in the summer season, a 20-centimeter fragment of the trunk is separated, and a section is sealed on the donor plant with garden var.
The cuttings are planted in sandy-peaty soil, moistened and covered with a colorless film.
Why do the leaves fall
The natural phenomenon is only the lower leaf fall of the yucca. If this happens with healthy and young leaves, then you need to pay attention to air humidity and the watering schedule.
When decaying the roots, you need to pull the plant out of the pot, cut out the rotting parts, and sprinkle the cut places with crushed charcoal. Then dry slightly and put in a container. Suspend watering.
Diseases and Pests
Improper care is the main cause of yucca diseases, its damage by pests. Consider how this is interconnected.
The main threat is fungal and bacterial infections. They affect the leaves (all kinds of spots, ulcers, rot, yellowing), lead to softening of the trunk, rotting of the roots. A favorable environment for this kind of pathogenic organism is too wet and cold soil. This happens when the plant is transfused in winter, kept on a cold windowsill, planted in an oversized pot and poured.
In order to defeat the diseases of fungal etiology, it is necessary first of all to normalize the care, and fungicide preparations will help to kill the infection.
Weakens the plant and excessive heat in the room, especially with a lack of lighting. In this case, pests can attack it:
- spider mite,
- scale shield.
For effective control, the pest must first be destroyed mechanically (wash off with soapy water, clean with a sponge). Then treat with insecticides - 2-3 times with an interval of 7-10 days.
Yucca is most vulnerable in winter and in the offseason when it experiences temperature stress.
How to split a yucca. Care Features
Caring for an exotic plant is not difficult. Basically, all care consists in watering, loosening, top dressing, protection from frost and disease.
Watering a false palm is necessary as the topsoil dries. Moreover, yucca leaves need to be sprayed daily in the early morning and late evening, in the absence of sunlight.
The plant is not capricious. Yucca needs to be watered on time, fed and protected from frost. If all three conditions are met, she will delight you with her attractive appearance.
False palm is relatively resistant to disease. But prevention should be carried out. From time to time you need to wipe the leaves with a cotton pad dipped in vodka. This event will prevent the occurrence of certain diseases.
The main thing in leaving is not to overdo it with watering, if you water too often and abundantly, the root system may rot. If it is too rare, the leaves of the false palm will begin to curl. Therefore, it is necessary to find a middle ground.
Adult yucca needs to be trimmed. Thus, the plant can be rejuvenated and get a few more seedlings from it for planting, to be trimmed immediately after being released from winter warming.
After trimming the stem, new buds will begin to open, which will become rosettes of leaves. Thanks to this procedure, the plant becomes even more exotic.
Correctly crop the yucca as follows:
- Two days before pruning, the false palm tree should be abundantly watered.
- Cutting is done with a clean, honed blade or knife. Approximately 7-9 cm from the level of the leaf rosette.
- After trimming, wait 10-15 minutes for the trunk to dry out. After that, treat the cut with fungicide and crushed charcoal.
- Cover the top with garden var.
Two weeks later, new shoots will appear. A healthy plant has about 5-6 of them.
Why yucca does not bloom
As mentioned above, yucca very rarely blooms in an apartment setting. It is very difficult to provide her with the necessary conditions, even if she wanted to. Yucca is a very moody instance in this regard. Everything that affects its growth and development should be as close as possible to natural wild conditions. However, if you try very hard, then the plant can “give up” and delight its surrounding flowering.
Species and varieties
At present, it is customary to distinguish between two types of "false palm trees": tree-like and stemless.
Appearance of Yucca
The tree-shaped yucca is characterized by a long trunk on which several rosettes with fluffy foliage can sprout. Often there are instances whose branching was created by trimming the top. This gives the tree-like yucca more decorative.
In stemless yucca, the rosette is the crown of the plant.
Yucca has a large number of varieties, several main ones should be distinguished:
- Aloeelistic. It is characterized by the absence of lateral shoots, and the leaves pointed upwards distinguish it against the background of other ornamental plants. This variety is not suitable for living in a small room. She needs space and bright lighting. It is interesting because it is completely indifferent to the artificial moistening of the leaves, by spraying from a spray gun,
Aloelistic yucca photo Filamentous. It differs from the sharp tip and curly white threads that fall along the trunk,
Filamentous yucca photo Elephant. The name of this variety speaks for itself. Elephant yucca reaches a height of 10 meters. It is also excellent in low requirements for temperature and lighting, unlike the aloeoid variety,
Elephant Yucca photo
Yucca is a beautiful, but rather whimsical plant to care for. However, with proper care, she will delight with her unique decorativeness of any grower. If you really intend to settle in a yucca, then you should take care in advance to ensure the right conditions for it. Make every effort to make the yucca feel good and comfortable, and she will reciprocate!
Like many plants, a palm tree can reproduce in several ways:
- segments of the trunk
- apical stalk.
The seed method is best started in February. To do this, the seeds are sown in boxes prepared with soil, sprinkling a layer of the earth no more than 5 mm on top. Boxes are placed in a warm and bright place, covered with a film or glass top. Moisten with a spray gun so as not to wash the seed. Open the film daily for ventilation. After a month, the emergence of seedlings can be observed, the film must be removed.
In spring, the top of the leaves is cut off from the plant, and the place of cut is treated with garden var. After a certain time, new lateral shoots appear on the trunk. The top is put in a glass of water for 2 days. After it is placed in wet sand, covered with a film on top. After rooting, the top of the plant is planted in a separate pot prepared with soil.
Yucca - home care, soil and pot selection, transplanting, pruning and fertilizing
A palm tree from South America - Yucca - home care for which includes both transplantation, reproduction, watering, and protection from various diseases, is an indoor plant. As a rule, caring for a yucca is based on preferences and habits laid down in the homeland of an evergreen tree. If you are going to get such a flower, carefully study its features.
Yucca is a genus of evergreens, belongs to the Agave family, grows in North and Central America.
Xiphoid hard leaves of different yuccas can grow up to 100 cm long, up to 8 cm wide, they form a basal rosette or are often collected in a bunch.
Based on the species, the leaf of the plant can be bluish or green, semi-rigid, erect, with smooth or jagged edges. Often the plant is covered with threads, sometimes there are sharp spikes on the ends of the leaves.
Yucca palm during flowering throws large peduncles, where there are many delicate fragrant bells in bright colors. As a rule, inflorescences are collected in one large panicle 2.5 m long. At home, the palm tree rarely blooms. The fruit is a dry or juicy box. From the leaves of some types of plants, fiber is extracted, which goes to the manufacture of wickerwork.
Yucca flower is well suited for decorating household plots, apartments, used for the manufacture of medicines and cosmetics.
More than 30 species of palm trees will grow in the homeland, often the size of the plant exceeds the trees of the temperate climate of Russia.
European flower growers grow and propagate three decorative species that perfectly adapt to home conditions and have optimal dimensions for the room. The most popular varieties:
- Elephantis or elephant palm (Yucca elephantipe). The plant got its name because of the thick original legs. The leaves are on top of it, and the trunk gradually becomes bare during growth. In summer, the tree is decorated with white flowers that look like bells.
- Filamentous (Yucca filamentosa). The plant can withstand up to 20 degrees of frost. The xiphoid leaves with bright white threads bent at the top can reach 60 cm in length. The flower of the filamentous variety has delicate bells up to 7 cm long.
- Aloeelist (Yucca aloifolia). The palm tree grows slowly, over time it begins to take the shape of a ball. In adult plants, the tree-shaped stem is well branched, at the ends of the branches there are densified rosettes of fleshy green leaves.
- Sisaya (Yucca glauca). The trunk of such a flower is short, leaves are elongated and thin, light at the edges. Bells have a yellowish or greenish-pale color. The gray yucca grows normally in air, withstands drought and moderate frosts well. Leaves are able to reach 90 cm.
The palm should grow at home on the south window, although if other windows are well lit, you can place a flower next to them. The yucca houseplant develops well in a bright, warm room. A young sprout needs light, but it’s better to shade it a bit from direct sunlight. In the process of growing, artificial lighting can also be used.
The palm prefers a moderate temperature in the summer and spring, approximately 20-25 ° C. In winter and autumn - within 8 or 12 ° С. To improve the appearance of the flower, sometimes wash in the shower. In summer, the tree can be placed on the balcony, but it must be well protected from rain. When placing the flower outdoors, the place should be dry and bright. In winter, a palm tree needs bright lighting.
How to transplant into another pot
A palm tree at home must be transplanted into a new pot every two years. The capacity should be selected stable and spacious, because the plant has a heavy leaf mass.
The drainage volume should be up to 7 cm (approximately one third of the total soil). For more weight, gravel can be used, and charcoal should be added to the ground.
Transplanting a flower in spring and summer is necessary according to the following scheme:
- need to take a deep steady pot,
- pour a layer of gravel or expanded clay on the bottom,
- then a little soil falls asleep,
- if the plant is healthy, you can simply transfer it from the old pot with an earthen lump,
- if there is rot on the roots, first you have to remove it and cover the slices with powdered coal,
- when the plant is in a new pot, you need to add soil, compact and pour water.
How to propagate yucca at home
The flower in the homeland is bred by seeds; in our area there are no such insects that could pollinate the tender bells of yucca.
Breeders use several available methods for propagating palm trees, which can easily be done at home.
For this procedure, you will need an adult plant with healthy autonomic organs or offspring.Yucca propagation at home is carried out in the following ways:
- Using the top of the palm. It is possible to achieve the branching of the crown by cutting a plant up to 10 cm long. Slices should be sprinkled with charcoal, dried, and plant the resulting layering in water. Rotten leaflets should be removed; charcoal must be added to prevent the spread of bacteria. After the appearance of small roots, the flower is transplanted into the ground.
- Cuttings. Layers are cut off from the mother bush. You should choose the roots with a developed system. For yucca, propagation in this way is easy, care of the seedlings does not require much effort.
- A cut. The lower end of the stem must be soaked for a couple of days in a special root formation stimulator, then it needs to be planted in light soil. A thick stretch of flower can be laid horizontally in the sand, half deepened in the substrate. When sprouts occur, they must be separated and rooted.
- The seeds. To plant a palm tree in this way is very convenient. Sow soaked fresh seeds should be in a mixture of turf soil, earth, sand (1: 1: 1). Wet soil should be covered with a container or glass. Shoots should appear in a month.
During a flower transplant on the street, it is important not to burn the leaves of the plant under the sun. The purchased seedling must be quenched, taking it every day to the open air. You can not plant a plant near groundwater.
For garden yucca, hollows and dark areas should be avoided. The flower should ideally sit in an elevated place. Wells need to be dug up in advance in the fall, making holes a little larger than the diameter of the roots.
It is best to use soil for planting, which includes sod, compost, perlite, sand or humus.
The flower is able to grow in any land, it is important that the roots have access to air. After falling asleep with soil, you need to gently compact it so that there is no excess space.
Next you need to pour warm water. For yucca, nutritious loose soil with a pH level of 5.5-6.5 is ideal.
It is best to put a small amount of charcoal in the chosen ground, and broken brick or river stones at the bottom of the hole.
The aerial part of the palm tree is more developed than the root system, therefore, in order to give the flower stability, it needs to be planted in a large flowerpot, pot or tub.
A new plant capacity must necessarily be 4 cm larger than the diameter of the roots. At the same time, choose the depth of the pot 2 times the internal diameter.
The flowerpot needs a strong one so that it can withstand carrying and did not deform during filling with soil. Instructions for transplanting yucca into a pot:
- prepare the soil mixture, a new tank and make a drainage layer,
- the day before the flower transplant, you need to water it abundantly,
- cut off all dry leaves
- gently turn over the old pot and gradually get an earthen lump with a flower so as not to harm the roots,
- pour soil on top of the drainage layer to the level so that the base of the yucca is 2 cm lower from the edge of the container,
- put an earthen lump with a flower in a new pot,
- gradually fill the soil and periodically compact it.
How to root
The cut off top of the palm can be easily rooted, and the remaining trunk will grow new shoots over time.
Dry the slice of the obtained stem (expose it to air for 2 hours), then plant the top in moist sand or put in a bucket of warm water for rooting. Put a piece of charcoal in advance.
When rooting on the handle, leaves may rot, they need to be removed, and the water changed. After the roots appear, palm stalks are planted in a substrate.
How to plant a yucca without roots
A palm can be grown almost from a stick. For this, part of the healthy bare trunk should be cut off and horizontally put in a pot on the surface of a light substrate or wet sand. Press the barrel lightly for better contact.
After a few days, buds should wake up on it, from which young sprouts with roots will gradually begin to form. Next, take the trunk with shoots out of the container, cut into pieces according to the number of processes, sprinkle the sections with charcoal and air dry.
Each part of the trunk of a palm tree with roots can be planted in an individual pot.
A palm tree that receives good care is rarely ill. Only with improper handling can a bacterial burn, rotting of the trunk or leaves occur.
Sometimes the plant turns yellow, but it can be a natural process of development and growth of the palm tree, during which disposal of excess leaves is carried out.
If yellow spots of an elliptical shape appear on the flower, which gradually turn brown - this indicates the presence of brown spotting.
In winter, the death of a flower is often caused by heavy watering or very low temperature. As a result of the huge amount of moisture on the flower, pests can occur: thrips, scale insects, spider mites, aphids or caterpillars.
If the plant is already affected, you need to remove the cause of the weakening and treat the flower with insecticides, strictly following the instructions.
Often, the owners of an evergreen beauty have questions to combat various diseases, but before treatment, all existing diseases of yucca should be studied:
- Rot caused by Fusarium fungi. During the disease, the crown is affected, the leaves are rotten. At the initial stage of the disease, it is necessary to remove the diseased parts of the tree and spray with a fungicide solution.
- Cercosporosis. Oval brown spots appear on the surface of the leaves. With high humidity, the disease can progress. To eliminate the disease, watering should be reduced, do not spray for several days, remove infected stems, treat the palm with a fungicide. Mineral fertilizers should be used for top dressing.
- White rot yucca. Most severely with this disease, the leaves of the plant, located close to the ground, are damaged. During the lesion, they discolor and become watery. To get rid of the disease, remove the affected tissue and treat with systemic fungicides (Fundazol, Rovral).
Yucca: transplant, home care + photo
There are several species of yucca growing in my country house. This plant has an impressive size, so I put it in a spacious hall and conservatory. Caring for this tree does not bother me. I only water and feed each of them on time.
Yucca is a unique plant. In addition to decorating any home, it carries a flower and other functions. Yucca is actively used in technical production and is used as a food product.
Although Yucca has no special needs in leaving, you still have to make some efforts to get a positive result.
There are about 40 species of Yucca today. The flowers of this plant, or rather their juice contains a large amount of sugar.
- The plant has strong fibers that were used in the manufacture of the first jeans in the United States,
- In the states to this day, they use these fibers in the manufacture of jeans, which is why they are famous for their unsurpassed quality,
- Yucca is used in the manufacture of paper and rope, as well as for medicinal purposes.
Yucca is an evergreen plant, the stem of the flower is low and can only branch slightly. Some species differ in that their stem is not visible at all, beautiful large leaves immediately diverge from the soil.
The flowers of this plant resemble panicles, they come out of the center. The fruit contains seeds inside, it is large, reaches 10 cm, has a black tint.
Outwardly, this plant is somewhat reminiscent of a false palm. It is better to put a pot with Yucca in spacious rooms, because its height reaches 4 meters. Only an adult plant blooms, so you will not see the first flowers of a white hue after planting soon.Indoor yucca is actively used to decorate a house, varieties with branching stems are especially appreciated.
Propagation at home
Yucca often becomes naked as she grows and begins to resemble a room palm. The higher the flower grows, the less attractive it becomes. Caring for such an overgrowth becomes extremely difficult. How to return a tree to decorativeness and normal sizes?
Yucca just needs to cut off the top of 10 cm along with the leaves. So you rejuvenate the plant. At the same time, caring for a tree will be much easier. Such work should be carried out in the spring, when the flower goes into the growth stage. Before pruning, it is important to water the plant well.
A few days after moisturizing, the top of Yucca is cut off with a sharp knife. That stump that remains, you cut to the height that you need. The place of cut after drying is necessarily processed by garden var.
After the work done for several months, the pot with Yucca needs to be identified in the shade. During this period, watering must be stopped. Due to the lack of crown, the tree will not be able to use up all moisture, which will lead to its decay.
In a warm room on the remaining hemp, new leaflets will soon begin to develop. At this time, the pot should be moved to a bright place and begin normal care of the plant.
The top that you cut earlier will serve as an excellent material for the propagation of Yucca. At the bottom of the handle, all leaves should be removed and dug in wet sand, while the plant is covered with polyethylene. For normal rooting, it takes about a month, after which the tree can be transplanted to a constant place of growth.
Tree Care Home
The most important criterion for the normal development of Yucca is adequate lighting. Daylight hours for this plant should be at least 16 hours. This tree grows best near the southern windows, but western and eastern will do. In cold periods, fluorescent lamps must be used.
If you water Yucca too often and too much, it will cause her to rot. Watering should only occur when the soil dries by 5 cm.
Some Yucca species prefer dry rather than moist air, but others will not give up spraying and additional moisturizing. When moving in the winter, the plant will need several times less watering. You only need to make the soil only slightly moist.
More details about tree care and propagation in the video:
In the warm season, for Yucca, the normal temperature range will be 20-25 degrees Celsius. The buds of this tree will be laid in coolness, so this plant will need fresh air to bloom. With the onset of cold weather, the room temperature should drop to about 12 degrees.
The soil can be absolutely any, but necessarily porous for the normal penetration of moisture and air. Drainage is necessary for Yucca, as claydite or pebbles can be laid at the bottom of it.
With the onset of spring and in the fall, this plant will require 1 feeding per month. Fertilizers are best applied when watering or spraying. If you just transplanted Yucca or she began to fade due to illness, top dressing should be immediately canceled.
It should be reminded that after buying Yucca, a mandatory tree transplant is required. Prepare a new pot. Its size should be slightly larger than the one in which the plant was kept in the store.
Cover the bottom of the new tank with drainage, sprinkle new loose soil and carefully plant the plant. After transplanting, you need to compact the soil and shed the plant well.