Delay and lack of stool, difficulty during bowel movements - a common malaise. This condition often occurs against the background of errors in nutrition, lack of fluid intake, inactivity, and may be evidence of a disease. In case the constipation is not chronic, it is permissible to solve the problem on your own with the help of laxatives, enemas or suppositories. Candles for constipation are quite safe, easy to use and inexpensive.
Causes of constipation
Before resorting to the use of drugs, it is useful to find out the root cause of the problem and, if possible, eliminate it. This is not always possible, for example, in older people the process of digestion is often slowed down, the muscles of the intestines are sluggish and “lazy." They have to regularly use laxative suppositories or pills to solve the problem of difficult bowel movements.
In the case when it comes to the average adult person, the most likely causes of situational constipation will be:
1. Low fluid intake. The body needs enough water for the normal functioning of all processes, including regular, comfortable stools. The average norms of water consumption are 30 ml per 1 kg of weight in women and 40 ml / kg in men. The need varies depending on the level of physical activity, the presence of stress, season. In addition, water should be used. Juice, tea, coffee and soup are food, not water!
2. Incorrect diet. The abundance in the menu of simple carbohydrates - pasta, potatoes, pastries, sweets - do not contribute to the normal functioning of the intestines. Without the proper amount of fiber and fluid, all this abundance turns into a sort of carbohydrate paste in the lumen of the intestine, reluctantly advancing to the “exit”. As a result, there is a lack of stool for several days.
3. Lack of diet. To ensure that the chair is on schedule, it is also advisable to eat at the same time every day. If possible, eat more often in small portions. If a person drinks coffee in the morning, sits hungry at work all day, and in the evening empties the refrigerator and goes to bed - digestive disorders will not take long.
4. Hypodynamia. In the life of most modern people, there is a catastrophic lack of active movement. Due to the low mobility, not only the muscles that can be seen in the mirror become sluggish, but also the muscles of the internal organs. Hypodynamia leads to the development of stagnant processes in the intestine, indigestion and constipation.
All these are lifestyle features that can lead to normal. Constipation can also be a consequence of diseases or organic disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. In these cases, usually any other symptoms besides constipation occur, and the stool delay itself becomes regular or chronic. In such a situation, you should seek medical advice.
Pregnant women complain of stool problems regularly. The organs of the abdominal cavity, including the intestines, are squeezed, so often in expectant mothers digestion is upset. Laxatives for pregnant women are the best solution to the problem of constipation.
Which method to choose?
And drugs for internal use, and laxatives, and enemas have their poles and minuses.
Of course, it is most convenient to swallow a tablet or syrup, but the medicine through the digestive tract will be absorbed by the whole body. Higher chance of unwanted concomitant effects. The action of internal drugs develops only after 8 - 12 hours.
In the case of an enema, there is no effect on the whole body, this is a fairly physiological and safe method. In this case, the effect occurs quickly: after 15 - 20 minutes. Nevertheless, the procedure is quite troublesome, many consider it unpleasant.
Suppositories from constipation have a quick action, more convenient than an enema, and at the same time practically do not have a systemic effect on the body. This is a compromise for those who abandoned the first two options.
Stimulating candles based on glycerol or bisacodyl.
The effect develops against the background of the reflex effect of the drug directly on the intestinal mucosa. Irritating receptors, the active components of such suppositories stimulate motility, accelerating the process of bowel movement. There is also softening of hard feces, lubrication of the intestinal walls, which further facilitates bowel movement.
- "Glycerin" 2.11 and 1.24 g, preferably produced by the company "Nizhpharm,".
For an adult, laxatives with a higher dosage of glycerol are used. Smaller doses are intended for children, so when buying a drug in a pharmacy, you need to clarify this indicator.
Glycerol is absorbed in the intestines. The substance is then processed in the liver and excreted in the urine. The systemic effect is insignificant, an allergic reaction may develop. It is allowed to use in pregnant and lactating, but with caution and preferably for medical purposes.
“Bisacodyl” in a dose of 10 mg is a suppository against fast constipation. The effect usually develops after 15 minutes, but no later than within an hour after administration. They have a pronounced stimulating effect. May cause cramping and unpleasant seething.
The components of Bisacodyl are not absorbed in the intestines. Possible use in pregnant and lactating, but after consultation with an observing specialist.
When choosing a drug, people focus on price, quality, manufacturer and a number of other indicators. Many people prefer domestic production, without thinking about the fact that the pharmaceutical substance from which the medicine is prepared is often of foreign origin.
The effectiveness of the drug, the severity of the side, and even the instruction of the same drug, can greatly depend on the substance. For example, the three main manufacturers of Bisacodyl laxatives:
- "Nizhpharm" - a pharmaceutical substance Italy, is approved for use in children from 8 years
- "Altpharm" - can be for children from 2 years old, the pharmaceutical substance is China or Italy.
- “GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals” (Poland) - contraindicated for up to 10 years, substance Italy.
Before using laxative suppositories for constipation, it is necessary to find out the nature of the stool delay. It can be cologenous or proctogenic. In the first case, the masses linger at a certain level in the intestine and simply cannot move on. The causes of this pathology are a tumor, scars, fecal stones and other obstructing formations. It is worth noting that in this situation, quick-acting laxatives are not only powerless, but can also do much harm.
When constipation is proctogenic in nature, it may be about the impossibility of defecation due to hard stool, due to a decrease in the sensitivity of nerve receptors and so on. In these cases, doctors recommend the use of fast-acting laxatives. Sometimes drugs in the form of syrups (“Dufalac”), tablets (“Senade”), and so on may be prescribed.
This type of drug helps to improve bowel function in adults through irritating effects on the mucous membrane. The process of feces recovery is restored after 6-12 hours.
If used incorrectly, severe diarrhea and pronounced pain in the abdomen are possible.This condition is caused by the presence of buckthorn and senna in the suppository.
One of the most common remedies is Glycelax.
Such candles are considered relatively inexpensive. Glycerin present in the composition has a positive effect on the intestines, helps to stimulate its activity, softens feces, which provides a natural yield of processed products.
Laxatives of this type cope well with constipation not only in children but also in adults. In addition, they can be used by pregnant and lactating women..
The result of glycerin preparations is noticeable after five minutes.
One of the most popular drugs is RectActive. It contains fruits of horse chestnut and fatty glyceride acid.
The action of suppositories is aimed at strengthening and increasing muscle tone of the intestine.
Such a drug enhances peristalsis and acts for a short period of time. With the passage of a full course of therapy, a person's biorhythm is subject to full recovery.
The use of rectal suppositories should be daily several minutes before going to the toilet.
It is the means of this group that are used for situational constipation that occurs with frequent suppression of bowel movements. The composition of the drug contains sodium bicarbonate, which dissolves in the intestines and releases carbon dioxide.
The action is aimed at stretching the walls of the intestine and irritation of the receptors.
This type of suppository suppository refers to natural remedies. Sea buckthorn oil helps restore intestinal function and relieve inflammation.
The same effect is observed in alpha acids, which are present in the composition. In addition, sea buckthorn candles contain trace elements and vitamins, tannins, which are aimed at combating pain and infection.
Thanks to its natural components, the drug gently affects the intestines and does not cause allergies.
Laxatives for constipation
This type of product acts locally. Only some medications tend to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Often appointed candles for constipation for the elderly, pregnant or recently given birth to women. The drug can be used after some surgical interventions. Among the medicines of this type, the following drugs can be distinguished (with constipation they are used most often):
- Glycerin candles.
- Ferrolax and so on.
The last two drugs contain sodium bicarbonate. This substance decomposes and forms carbon dioxide. The latter, in turn, contributes to increased pressure in the intestines. Separately, it is worth highlighting laxative suppositories with glycerin. The principle of their work is somewhat different.
There are a number of conditions in which the use of any laxatives, including suppositories, is contraindicated:
- vague abdominal pain
- intestinal obstruction,
- any bleeding of the gastrointestinal tract (intestinal, rectal, etc.),
- inflammatory or ulcerative process of the colon and / or rectum,
- rectal fissures,
- organic gastrointestinal disorders (for example, anatomical narrowing of the intestine).
In the vast majority of cases, the use of suppositories for constipation is safe.
Guidelines for treating constipation in the elderly
During the treatment of constipation in the elderly, you need to try to achieve the following goals:
- Normalize the density of feces.
- Achieve systematic emptying.
If possible, in old age it is recommended to gradually increase its activity, drink at least 2 liters of fluid, eat food consisting of dietary fiber. If a bed patient suffers from constipation, then this will be difficult.In this case, to help a person should do a light massage of the abdomen, which stimulates peristalsis, and conduct dosed gymnastics.
Before treating constipation, you need to pay special attention to the diet. Elderly usually eat soft foods such as cereals, potatoes, and have difficulty eating fresh fruits and vegetables, which are so necessary to relieve constipation.
To solve this problem, you can use nutritional supplements, which consist of bran, pectin, dietary fiber and stimulate the functioning of the intestine. In order for these products to perform their work better, it is recommended to drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day. Otherwise, the intake of dietary supplements can aggravate the situation and dietary fiber will absorb the necessary fluid from the intestine. Prescribing dietary supplements should be carried out exclusively by a doctor, since elderly people often have diseases in which the intake of large amounts of liquid is prohibited. If the primary methods do not help to fix the problem, then traditional medicine or a laxative laxative comes to the rescue.
How does the drug work?
Laxative suppositories for constipation (with glycerin) begin to act immediately after their administration. The maximum effect can be felt within 10-15 minutes after use. The composition of the drug includes glycerin, stearic acid and sodium carbonate. If after a specified period of time the bowel cleansing has not occurred, then there is a likelihood of obstruction. In this case, you should contact your doctors as soon as possible. In case of abdominal pain and fever, call an ambulance.
The drug dissolves in the rectum of the patient and thus liquefies stool. The main active substance has an irritating effect on the intestinal mucosa, starts the work of nerve endings. The secretion of mucus is also enhanced, which softens the process of passing stool. A person at this time feels the urge to defecate.
First aid and treatment
The treatment of constipation in the elderly is prescribed at the first complaints. Long stool delays are very dangerous!
After establishing a diagnosis and clarifying the causes of chronic constipation, the patient is primarily offered therapy without the use of drugs at home:
- An unloading diet helps a lot. You need to revise your daily diet, enriching it with products with a high content of dietary fiber.
- Drink plenty of clean water (at least 2 liters per day).
- Increase motor activity.
- In the presence of concomitant diseases, consult a doctor about the abolition or replacement of drugs that contribute to the development of pathology.
Proper nutrition is the key to a successful fight against pathology
The dietary menu needs to be diversified by including in it:
- dairy and sour milk products
- buckwheat, oat, semolina cereals
- mashed soups
- vegetables and fruits
Preference should be given to products containing dietary fiber. These are fruits and berries, vegetables, herbs, legumes, nuts. There should be at least 7 servings, that is, about 500 grams per day.
The daily need for dietary fiber is not precisely defined. Recommendations for their optimal amount in different countries range from 20 to 40 g per day. For calculation, it is convenient to have a table on the content of dietary fiber in different products. For example, 100 g of legumes contains 17 g of plant fiber, 100 g of oatmeal - 10 g, 100 g of bran - 48 g, etc.
For convenience, meals can be started at 8 a.m. and finished at 8 p.m. The daily rate of salt should not exceed 2 g per person.
To improve bowel function and develop a habit of daily bowel movements, doctors recommend drinking a glass of cold water on an empty stomach in the morning. It is possible with the addition of honey, lemon, jam, salt, sugar.During the day, drink mineral water (Slavyanovskaya, Essentuki No. 4 or No. 17), fruit or vegetable juice. After breakfast, after about half an hour, the patient needs to go to the toilet and try to empty the intestines.
Lack of stool after breakfast should not cause panic. The patient is invited to calmly do business and not try to cause bowel movements until the end of the day. The attempt should be repeated in the same order the next day, but with the introduction of a glycerin suppository into the rectum.
Rectal suppositories irritate the rectal mucosa, causing defecation reflexively. After a few days, you can continue to restore the reflex to daily bowel movements without the use of suppositories.
Method of using the drug with glycerin
Laxatives for constipation are used when you have 20-40 minutes of free time. This condition must be met because the manufacturer cannot guarantee an instant effect. There is no guarantee that an act of defecation will occur in five minutes. However, this is exactly what happens in most cases.
Before using the drug, wash your hands thoroughly. Try to use antibacterial soap for this. If it is not possible to carry out this procedure, then it makes sense to purchase sterile gloves. Remove the adhesion of suppositories from the cardboard box and separate one candle. After this, it is necessary to open the protective shell and remove the drug. Take the suppository by the wide base and insert the candle into the anus. For convenience, you can sit or raise one leg. After the introduction of the medication, you need to move for five or ten minutes. This condition will help the drug provide maximum effect. Try not to run to the toilet at the first urge. Wait at least 7 minutes after the administration of the suppository.
2-3 candles can be used per day. However, in most cases, a single dose is enough for the patient. It is advisable to administer the medication in the morning after waking up or half an hour after eating.
To achieve the maximum positive effect, experts recommend adhering to some general rules:
- use a laxative drug no more than once a day one third of an hour after eating food,
- Do not get involved in candles for a long time, as the result can be exactly the opposite,
- in the presence of itching, burning sensation or redness, immediately abandon the drug.
If you follow the recommendations, then the result of treatment will be only positive.
Use in children and pregnant women
During the expectation of a child, this drug should not be abused. Doctors say that an overdose can cause intense contractions of the intestinal muscles. This can lead to an early onset of labor. It is especially cautious to treat this drug in the first and second trimesters.
For children, the medication is used in an appropriate form. If you do not have the opportunity to purchase such a tool, then simply divide the usual suppository. Cut the preparation into two parts and use the one that has a pointed end. For kids, the medication should be used only in exceptional cases. About constipation we are talking about when the stool is delayed for more than three days. It is worth noting that a drug divided into parts is not subject to storage. The remainder must be discarded. Otherwise, it may be pathogenic microorganisms, which, after entering the human intestines, can lead to unpleasant consequences.
All these difficulties with cutting the suppository, calculating the dosage, etc. can be avoided by using special children's glycerin candles Glycelaks®.Glycelax® suppository has a reduced size and a children's dosage of 0.75 g of glycerol, so parents do not need to perform additional manipulations - you just need to remove the candle from the package and put it in the child. 15-20 minutes after setting the candle, a soft and natural bowel movement occurs. Glycelax® suppositories can be used in children from three months of age; suppositories are safe and hypoallergenic.
When are candles used?
Suppositories must be used if the patient has stagnation of feces in the lower intestine.
Sometimes a provoking factor in this condition can be a malfunction in the functioning of the nerve receptors of the intestinal wall. In this case, you should not expect the effect of candles, since first of all all actions should be directed to eliminating the cause of obstruction.
In most cases, among the indications for the use of laxative suppositories, there are:
- weakening of the muscle tissue of the rectum and pelvic floor,
- stool retention for a long time (from 7 days or more),
- inability to use other medicines.
Often during the period of bearing a child, women may encounter the problem of defecation in view of the fact that the uterus begins to grow and the hormonal background is rebuilt.
In this case, only candles from constipation can come to the rescue. This also applies to people suffering from pathologies of a chronic form or prone to allergies.
Indications for use
Rectal suppositories (suppositories) for constipation should be used only in cases where stagnation of feces occurs in the terminal sections of the colon, namely in the sigmoid or rectum, that is, with a proctogenic cause of delayed defecation. If the cause of constipation lies in the violation of the innervation of the intestinal wall, then the candles are ineffective.
The main indications for the appointment of laxative suppositories are:
- constipation associated with weakness of the muscular apparatus of the rectum and pelvic floor,
- lack of stool for more than 5-7 days,
- the inability to take tablet forms of laxatives, for example, in young children,
- the need for mild bowel movements in patients with certain extraintestinal diseases (stroke, acute myocardial infarction).
Do not use the medicine frequently. This can be addictive. Remember that suppository candles for elderly patients or other categories of people are used as emergency care. To solve the problem of stool retention, you must correctly adjust your diet. If the problem persists, consult a doctor.
In most cases, doctors prescribe more gentle drugs. These include Dufalac, Phytomucil, Gutasil, and so on. They are not addictive and contribute to the gentle cleansing of the intestines.
How to use rectal suppositories
When using candles against constipation, regardless of their name, it is important to follow certain rules:
- An adult is recommended to put laxative suppositories no more than once a day. It is advisable to carry out the procedure 20-30 minutes after breakfast.
- The duration of treatment should be as short as possible. If you use laxative suppositories for a long period, and even more so constantly, then addiction gradually develops to them. This is due to the fact that regular irritation of the nerve receptors of the mucous membrane of the rectal ampoule over time causes a decrease in their sensitivity. If you need a long course of treatment, the doctor usually recommends the patient a periodic change of the drug.
- If when using suppositories a person has discomfort, burning or itching in the perianal region, then their further use should be discarded and consult a doctor.
In order to achieve a good and quick effect, it is important to correctly enter suppository candles. To do this, follow these steps:
- lie on your left side and pull your knees to your stomach
- gently push the suppository with the right hand through the external rectal sphincter (to facilitate insertion, the tip of the suppository can be slightly greased with liquid paraffin),
- stay lying on your side for 20-30 minutes, until a strong urge to defecate.
If the candle was stored at room temperature, then it becomes too soft, and difficulties arise when it is introduced into the rectum. In this case, it can be placed in cold water or in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
Effective constipation suppositories are rhubarb based suppositories. Rhubarb has a pronounced laxative effect for constipation, favorably affecting the entire digestion process. This plant, eatable, is able to regulate the body's water balance, which is an important factor in the process of healthy bowel movement.
Rhubarb is part of many laxatives, which have a mild effect due to the natural component. For this reason, suppositories with rhubarb are indicated for use by the elderly.
A drug consisting of three components of combined action. Often prescribed for constipation in the elderly. Refers to agents that increase gas formation in the intestine.
The active components of the drug react with the internal environment. As a result of this reaction, carbon dioxide is released, water and carbonic acid are formed. Another component - polyethylene glycol, has a softening effect on feces, and water allows you to quickly remove it from the intestines.
Evacuate is a fast-acting drug. It begins to act within 10 minutes after administration. Evacuate is not prescribed for children under 12 years of age, as well as for people with intolerance to one of the components. Women after childbirth before using this tool should consult with your doctor.
Dulcolax or Bisacodyl
Relatively inexpensive drugs. Their cost does not exceed 40 rubles. These suppository suppositories belong to the group of drugs that cause severe intestinal irritation.
Its active components interact with electrolytes in water, which are formed in the rectum during hydrolysis in the tissues of the large intestine. This helps to accelerate the work of peristalsis and helps to promote stool.
These drugs are prescribed for adults. Not recommended for children under the age of 10 years. Categorically contraindicated for use by women after childbirth, as well as patients with acute diseases of the abdominal cavity.
The exact prescription for use in constipation for the elderly can be found after an examination with your doctor. Also, these suppositories are often prescribed during x-ray examinations and for cleansing the intestines before surgery.
Candlestick groups for the elderly
Laxative suppositories for severe constipation for the elderly are divided into several groups. This classification allows you to systematize the mechanism of action of certain dosage forms.
- Gas forming agents. Substances contain sodium bicarbonate. The process of dissolving a suppository in the rectum is carried out in combination with other components. The result is a huge amount of gas bubbles. Formations stretch the capsule in the rectum and provoke receptor irritation. Over time, the processes of peristalsis normalize.
- Glycerin format. The preparations contain glycerin, which dissolves in the final part of the digestive tract. The stool dissolves in stages and leaves the intestines. The action is mild.The drug compound is great for elderly patients who have a bowel movement problem.
- Annoying type. Medicines are used for pathology of peristalsis and chronic hypotension. The laxative effect is achieved due to irritation of the intestinal receptors and additional stimulation of the mucous walls.
- Therapeutic option. This group of substances has a primary mechanism of action, which is aimed at eliminating the ailment and neutralizing inflammatory processes in the gut.
This product is based on oil obtained from shark liver. It has a combined effect on the entire intestinal tract. In therapeutic therapy, Relief is used as a suppository for constipation or hemorrhoids.
Of the contraindications, only chronic intolerance to individual elements of the composition of the drug can be noted. Perfect for suppository candles for the elderly, as they consist mainly of natural ingredients.
Frequent use is not recommended.
Unlike tablets and suspensions, side effects from rectal suppositories are less common. However, allergic reactions are possible:
- itching, burning in the anal area,
- pain and cramping in the lower abdomen,
- mucosal irritation
- leaching of beneficial bacteria.
Now you know what laxative suppositories are. If you have a problem with bowel movements, then the drug will certainly help. However, do not get involved in its use. Frequent use of rectal suppositories with the above action can lead to unpleasant problems. Try to regulate the digestive tract by changing the diet. In more severe cases, consult a doctor. I wish you good health and proper bowel function!
If there is an effective laxative, then these are suppositories from constipation. Positioned as a topical preparation, suppositories can provide the fastest result.
But it turns out that their use will not be relevant for all types of constipation. Of course, in a pharmacy an experienced pharmacist will help you choose the right tool.
At the same time, a consumer armed with additional knowledge will buy not only effective, but also inexpensive candles that solve the problem of constipation.
Suppositories for different types of constipation
There are several classifications of suppositories against constipation, in each of which the main criterion is a certain parameter (speed of action, price, composition, etc.).
The most popular classification includes the division into glycerin and gas-forming. Sea buckthorn suppositories are taken out in a separate group for constipation, which also solve the problem of delayed bowel movement.
If the delay in emptying is proctogenic, it is better to use gas-forming suppositories, the mechanism of action of which is reduced to the formation of carbon dioxide in the intestine.
The walls of the intestine are stretched, activate peristaltic movements, which cause irritation of the receptors of the mucous membrane.
Such gas-forming suppositories include “Ferrolax” (the formula of which includes citric acid, sodium bicarbonate and iron lactate), suppositories for constipation based on rhubarb extract and “Calciolax” (calcium lactate was introduced instead of iron lactate).
In the case of a proctogenic cause of stool retention, experts advise using glycerin suppositories, which irritate the intestinal mucosa and soften feces.
But this type of suppository does not apply to quick-acting drugs, and this should be remembered.
The glycerin group of suppositories for constipation includes drugs such as Glycelax or Glycerin suppositories.
The safety of the product is confirmed by the fact that it can be used even during pregnancy and after childbirth.
The idea to use glycerin suppositories should be abandoned if one of the following problems occurs:
- hemorrhoids (in the acute stage),
- anal fissures
- bleeding ulcers.
If we are talking about a cologenic type of constipation, then laxatives in the form of suppositories can be ineffective, because they solve the problem locally and are powerless in dealing with the contents of the intestine, which "stops" at a level above the rectum.
If difficulties with emptying are caused by a decrease in intestinal tone, then it is worth paying attention to such laxative suppositories for constipation, as Bisacodyl, which belong to the diphenylmethane group.
The drug allows you to increase the amount of fluid and electrolytes in the large intestine. And, as practice shows, this is a good and most inexpensive way to solve a delicate problem.
Overview of the main types of laxative suppositories
Suppository suppositories should only be used as directed by a doctor. You should not independently choose one or another of their kind, based on the advice of acquaintances or friends, pharmacy workers or advertising in the media. This is due to the fact that suppositories are not only called differently, but also have a different mechanism of action. Let's consider some basic types.
The mechanism of action, indications
The main active ingredient is glycerin. It irritates the nerve endings of the walls of the rectum, which contributes to the urge to defecate. The drug begins to act very quickly. It can be used in the elderly, children and pregnant women. It has a minimum of side effects. Also its advantage is its low price.
The main indication for their prescription is constipation associated with atony of the large intestine and impaired urge to empty it. The main active ingredient is sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). The fat base is usually represented by cocoa butter. They are the main type of laxative suppository fast-acting for constipation in the elderly.
The mechanism of laxative action is associated with the irritating effect of the drug. In addition, its components contribute to the formation of mucus, which envelops the feces and thereby facilitates their excretion. The use is contraindicated in children and pregnant women.
Laxative effect is weak. It is mainly used in patients with hemorrhoids and anal fissures, since ichthyol has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
Modern highly effective laxative suppositories, complex action. The main active ingredients are sodium bicarbonate, potassium bitartrate and polyethylene glycol. Suppositories help soften and thin the feces, stimulate the motor function of the rectum. Empty your bowels quickly and well.
Some proponents of traditional medicine are of the opinion that it is good to use self-prepared suppositories from laundry soap to treat constipation. In fact, this method of solving the problem of obstructed bowel movements can cause serious harm to health. The fact is that any soap contains a sufficiently large amount of alkali, which can cause a chemical burn of the rectal mucosa, and provoke the formation of long-term non-healing erosions and ulcers on it. It is strictly forbidden to use soap to stimulate bowel movements in young children.
Suppositories Containing Papaverine
One of the most famous and affordable means to combat constipation. The medicinal effect of these suppositories has been known for a long time, but they are rarely used. The action of the drug begins when the active substance enters the intestinal tissue. Blood flow begins to increase, thereby improving the work of peristalsis.
This contributes to a better promotion of feces. Such drugs are well suited for older patients.Suppositories for constipation for the elderly based on papaverine are taken no more than 3 times a day, as allergic reactions may occur.
The use of laxative suppositories may be accompanied by the occurrence of side effects:
With prolonged use of suppositories from constipation, a decrease in the tone of the rectum occurs, which is why patients are forced to increase the dose of the drug to achieve the desired effect. This, in turn, further contributes to atony of the large intestine, which leads to the formation of a vicious circle.
What suppositories do newborns use for constipation?
Constipation occurs not only in older children, but also in newborns, starting from the first months of life and there may be several reasons. To alleviate the condition of the crumbs and empty the intestines, you can use glycerin or sea buckthorn suppositories, as well as the homeopathic medicine Viburkol. We discuss the merits of each of these drugs.
Candles for constipation for infants
Constipation in children of the first year of life is observed quite often, but not in all cases, it requires any treatment. Typically, indications for the setting of a cleansing enema or the use of laxative suppositories are:
- lack of bowel movement over 72 hours,
- refusal of food,
- strong regurgitation.
In pediatrics, glycerin suppositories are preferred. In this case, it is imperative to use suppositories intended for children (Glycelax, Glycerin 1.24 g). They contain less glycerin in their composition, and in addition, they are smaller than those intended for adults.
Apply candles from constipation in children is possible only as directed by a doctor. The course of treatment with them should be as short as possible so as not to cause addiction.
Therapy of constipation in the elderly
In older people, difficult bowel movements are observed quite often. The main reasons for its occurrence are:
- age-related weakening of the pelvic floor muscles,
- decreased level of physical activity.
To normalize bowel movements, doctors recommend that patients:
- adhere to proper nutrition (with a decrease in the content of refined foods in the diet and an increase in the amount of plant fiber),
- lead an active lifestyle (physical therapy exercises and morning exercises, walking, swimming).
You should resort to the help of laxative suppositories only in exceptional cases, when it is not possible to achieve stool discharge by changing the diet and increasing activity. Typically, patients are prescribed bisacodyl or glycerin suppositories.
In old age, constipation can be a malignant tumor of the intestine. Usually its development is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- unexplained weight loss
- general weakness
- decreased appetite
- the appearance in the feces of streaks of blood and mucus,
If these symptoms appear, you should definitely consult a doctor and undergo the necessary examination, the use of suppositories for constipation in this case is strictly prohibited.
In what cases is the use of constipation suppositories justified?
These funds are used for stagnation of feces in the lower intestine: rectum, blind, sigmoid colon. In some cases, the cause of constipation may be a violation of the nerve receptors of the intestinal wall. Candles will not be effective in such a situation, since it is important to eliminate the cause of obstruction. They help only with constipation proctogenic nature.
Most often, doctors recommend using this tool in such situations:
- Weakness of the muscles of the pelvic floor and rectum.
- Stool delay too long (about a week or more).
- The inability to use other drugs (for example, in childhood or old age).
Due to the growing uterus and hormonal changes, many pregnant women face stool disorders. In this situation, suppository candles may be the only safe option for solving a delicate problem. This also applies to people with chronic diseases, a tendency to allergies.
How to correctly use suppository candles?
Regardless of the type of medicine you choose, follow certain medical recommendations:
- It is recommended to put candles against constipation once every 24 hours.. The optimal time for the procedure is morning, about 20 minutes after eating. No need to use products before bedtime.
- Using candles for too long is unacceptable. Means quickly addictive. Due to regular irritation of the receptors, their sensitivity is gradually reduced. It is advisable to use candles no more than a week in a row. In some situations, the doctor may advise changing the type of drug.
- Pay attention to your body signals. If you feel severe itching or burning, stop using suppositories to treat constipation. Certain components may not be suitable for you. In this situation, it is necessary to conduct a survey.
- To improve the effect, you need to lie on your left side and tighten your legs to your stomach. After inserting a candle into the anus, squeeze the buttocks and rest for 20-40 minutes. Usually this time is enough to get the desired result. You may feel the urge to defecate in a few minutes, but try to follow the instructions to achieve complete bowel movement.
It is important! If the candle is too soft and you cannot use it, put it in the refrigerator for half an hour. Also, the product can be immersed in cool water. Keep candles in a warm room is not worth it.
Causes of constipation in adults
Constipation in an adult can occur due to:
- bowel slow in view of a sedentary lifestyle. This leads to obstructed bowel movement. Office workers and older people are affected by this.
- malnutrition. Snacks on the go, lack of healthy food in the diet, the use of sweet and starchy, fatty foods all provoke a delay in stool.
- random food. Rare meals, combined with overeating, also cause constipation,
- stress. All human organs depend on the proper functioning of the nervous system. With severe stresses, sleep disorders, malfunctions in the body, in particular the intestines,
- postoperative period. The intestinal muscles are weakened, temporarily malfunctioning,
- weakening the urge to defecate. Holding back the urge to defecate, for example, with a busy work schedule, inhibits the reflex activity of the intestine,
- changes in the nearest organs. Pregnant women often have bowel problems due to an enlarged uterus.
Candles for constipation in adults are much more than for a children's audience, or women in position.
The drug contains three effective, combined substances. The tool is effective, is the latest analogue of a traditional enema. The drug acts quickly enough. Within 10 minutes, bowel movement occurs.
In addition to constipation, the drug is used in cases of hemorrhoids, or anal fissures. Women during pregnancy can also use the drug.
Children under 12 years of age should not use the drug. Contraindications include people with hypersensitivity to the drug.
These candles from constipation are inexpensive, their price range is 550 rubles.
- Means "Bisacodyl".
In the group of means of contact action include Dulcolax and Bisacodyl.Both funds are inexpensive, the first one is about 200 rubles, the second one is even less - 40 rubles.
The advantage is an antiresorptive effect, an accelerated process of separation of electrolyte secretion and water. Within 15 minutes, the drugs begin to act. Among the disadvantages of this choice, severe pain is distinguished. After all, with the regular use of laxatives, intestinal atony occurs. In general, this adversely affects the evacuation of the stool.
Indications for use are colon hypertension, or the preparatory process before surgery, x-ray, or instrumental examination.
It is worth noting that pregnant women are not recommended to take such a powerful remedy. Candles are contraindicated for children under 10 years of age. With vomiting, nausea, or acute bowel disease, you should refrain from using drugs. Such signs may indicate complications, the onset of the inflammatory process in the body. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
- Means "Microlax".
These laxative suppositories for constipation are considered effective in their action. Thanks to the combined composition, a positive result is felt within 15 minutes.
The drug is used for constipation and as a preparation for the digestive tract.
If we talk about contraindications, then only in cases of individual intolerance it is worth giving up. Women in position or infants should be especially careful to take any medication. Therefore, it is worth seeking advice before taking anything.
- Candles for constipation "Glycerin"
These are safe and effective remedies to get rid of constipation. The composition of the candles includes glycerin. Due to its properties, the mucous membrane feels a slight, soft in nature, irritation. This helps to stimulate peristalsis of the rectum.
Among the advantages of glycerin suppositories from constipation, its versatility is highlighted. After all, there are no contraindications for pregnant women or during lactation, for young children.
It is worth refraining from using laxatives in the initial process of developing the inflammatory process of the intestine. Otherwise, it is fraught with complications.
Possible side effects of the drug. This is a slight burning sensation, irritation of the rectum. In these cases, the use of candles stops. An alternative to their use is oil micro enemas. This implies the use of a small amount of olive, or other oil, that is.
These candles from constipation are inexpensive and effective, their cost does not exceed 120 rubles.
- The drug "Glycelax."
It contains glycerol, which effectively copes with constipation during pregnancy, or during the lactation period. Candles are also used for anal fissures, hemorrhoids, or after a heart attack.
It is contraindicated in the period of exacerbation of hemorrhoids, or proctitis, with the formation of malignant or benign tumors.
Frequent, or prolonged use of the drug leads to a burning sensation, or the development of allergies in the body.
With stool normalization, it is worth stopping the use of the drug.
- Safe, oily candles.
During pregnancy, you can use suppositories with sea buckthorn oil. Compared with previous means, this drug is not so active. The herbal preparation in its composition, this has a positive effect on the healing of tissues, or on reparative processes. Oil candles have an antioxidant effect, contribute to the overall strengthening of the body.
Candles are used for a laxative effect, during anal fissures, or hemorrhoids. Among the side effects there is a slight burning sensation, or allergy.
The drug is available to a wide range of consumers, its price is in the range of 70 rubles.
Prevention of constipation
Laxative suppositories are an adjuvant, not a cure.To prevent the occurrence and treatment of obstructed bowel movements, it is important to observe the following rules:
- go to the toilet immediately when you get the urge to empty your bowels
- drink plenty of fluids (an adult should drink about 30 ml of water per kilogram of body weight per day),
- introduce into your diet foods rich in plant fiber (vegetables, bran),
- increase the level of physical activity (rotation of the hoop, walking, yoga, aerobics, swimming),
- do abdominal massage
- give up drinking alcohol and smoking.
Do not get carried away with laxatives. With prolonged use, intestinal atony increases, and the severity of constipation increases. This causes a deterioration in overall health.
When to use laxative suppositories
With constipation in adults, lasting about two days. Basically, suppositories are prescribed for stagnation in the lower intestine. Also, candles are recommended for weak pelvic muscles, during pregnancy, the elderly, children.
If constipation is associated with improper functioning of the nerve endings in the intestinal walls, then other drugs are used.
Suppositories for constipation during pregnancy and lactation
For pregnant and lactating women with constipation, doctors recommend the use of laxative suppositories with glycerin or ichthyol. They have a soft and gentle effect. Suppositories for fast-acting constipation are undesirable for pregnant women, as they can provoke an increase in uterine tone. The patient should discuss the advisability of using this or that drug with the attending physician.
Constipation in children
In case of violation of the digestive process, in particular the stool of the child, it is worth paying attention to the diet. If the problem after the audit in the diet does not go away, then you can resort to medication for help.
In this case, candles with a mild effect, for example, glycerin candles, are suitable.
Best of all, seek help from a specialist. He, depending on individual tolerance, age, will select effective drugs to normalize disorders associated with bowel movements.
Symptoms of constipation
In addition to the absence of bowel movement for several days, the following conditions may occur:
- dense feces, leaving in a small amount, dissemination of blood streaks is possible,
- pain when trying,
- urge to the toilet is present, but the intestines are not empty,
- weakness in the body, nausea.
Types of constipation
Constipation is acute and chronic. Acute constipation is rare. With this form, it is enough to adjust the diet: eat more fiber, vegetables and fruits, consume more water, perform physical exercises. In chronic form, the problem periodically makes itself felt. In this case, the use of laxatives is necessary.
In order to choose the right medicine, it is important to determine the type of obstructed stool.
Distinguish cologenous constipation - feces accumulate before entering the rectum. It occurs when the intestines have weak walls, scars or tumors. With this form, laxatives taken orally are effective.
It happens and proctogenic constipation - difficulties arise in the rectum, anus. The causes may be weak pelvic muscles, weak sensitivity of intestinal receptors, cracks, nodes, tumors. When determining this form, rectal suppositories are prescribed.
For women in position
For women in an interesting position, drugs with glycerin are noted. Women in position are familiar with the problem of constipation. During this period, you should be especially careful about your health and those drugs that you take. When taking strong drugs, premature birth, even a miscarriage, is possible.Do not harm women in position, or during lactation, taking glycerin, sea buckthorn suppositories, or consuming Glycelax.
These drugs gently affect the woman’s body, regardless of how long she is. With hemorrhoids, or anal fissures, preparations of this nature are allowed. In severe diseases, the use of these drugs is contraindicated.
How to use laxative suppositories
The instructions often include the option of carrying out the morning procedure after breakfast. Also, manipulation is carried out before bedtime, if there is not enough free time in the morning.
- Take a shower. Clean the suppository with clean hands.
- To choose a dosage according to the instruction. An adult usually needs only one candle.
- Lie on your side, bending your knee. Carefully insert the product with the pointed end forward.
- It is advisable to lie down for 15 minutes. Some of the instructions require active movement. The effect occurs in 10-60 minutes.
- If there is a strong urge to defecate, empty the intestines.
I will surprise you - use Viburkol for constipation
Everyone probably knows that this homeopathic medicine is used in babies from birth for colds, temperatures and viral infections.
Now another important property of these truly universal suppositories will open up for you: the drug is often prescribed for bowel obstruction to remove gases and facilitate bowel movements. The medicine contains herbal ingredients and is absolutely harmless to babies.
If you are not familiar with this drug, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the instructions for Viburkol, as well as the user reviews.
The drug relieves spasms of intestinal muscles, eliminates inflammation. For infants of the first month of life, enter a quarter of the suppository up to 6 times a day, for children up to a year - half to 4 times a day. But it is better not to abuse the medicine: with frequent use, newborns may experience anal fissures and impaired gastrointestinal function.
We advise young mothers not to resort to candles and laxatives every time the baby cannot go to the toilet. For frequent constipation, look for a more serious cause that your pediatrician can help find.
Candles for constipation for the elderly
With age, the normal functional work of the digestive tract is disrupted. According to statistical studies, 60% of people after 60 years, 80% - after 70 years have constipation. At the developmental stage, candles are prescribed, applying them to the basic treatment.
Experts distinguish normal stool: 3 times a day / week. If you deviate from the framework, you can draw conclusions about violations. Candles have the necessary laxative effect, despite the degree of the disease.
- Means "Calciolax", "Ferrolax".
After eating, they place candles daily 1 time. When applying, small contraindications are distinguished in the form of uncomfortable sensations in the anus. This tool has established itself as effective for all age-old categories.
- Means of complex action "Relief".
These candles are famous for their complex effects on the body. With constipation, or hemorrhoids, they equally help. The composition of the drug contains shark liver oil.
With individual intolerance to the drug, you should refrain from its use.
Candles are introduced 4 times daily after the necessary hygiene procedures.
- Papaverine suppositories.
This tool is not so often used, but has its significant positive aspects. When it enters the rectum, the candle dissolves. This helps the active substance to quickly penetrate into the walls, into the bloodstream. Then comes the long-awaited facilitated emptying.
Apply candles up to 3 times daily. If the procedure is repeated, allergic reactions are possible. People with glaucoma, or individual intolerance should refuse to take the drug.
Before starting the course, a consultation with the attending physician is necessary. Pay due attention to instructions, contraindications, or side effects. Also, there are a number of recommendations that will help not to harm your body while taking the drug:
- if you feel that the candle is excessively soft in its consistency, it is necessary to place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes,
- with a slight urge, you must immediately respond, you can’t tolerate in this case,
- after insertion, lie on the left side, tighten your legs. Squeeze the buttocks and stay in this position for 20 minutes. In this way, you are enhancing the effect,
- drink clean water daily at a rate of at least 2 liters,
- increase physical activity
- give up bad habits, in particular from excessive drinking, or smoking,
- apply abdominal massage. Stroking should take place in a circle, clockwise. Such actions positively affect the digestive system of the body.
Diversify your diet if you feel problems with the digestive system. It is necessary to make some adjustments that will establish the normal functional ability of the body to digest food. It is worth consuming more foods that contain fiber, such as vegetables, fruits. Instead of sweets, use dried fruits, they are inferior in sweetness to the previous form, but it is much more useful. White bread should be replaced with black bread, or with bran.
Eat porridge cooked in water. Dairy products have a beneficial effect on the body. This is cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, kefir. They help improve the digestive process. Also, experts advise drinking a large amount of clean, non-carbonated water. Juices should be natural, not from packages; from alcoholic drinks, choose white wines in a small amount. The use of kvass is allowed.
Separately, a group of products is identified that adversely affects the body. In addition, they bother timely emptying:
- cocoa, tea, or red wines that contain tannin,
- highly refined foods such as sunflower oil,
- meat, fatty dishes, cheeses, or hard-boiled eggs,
- drink warm rather than hot drinks, in particular hot milk.
When using drugs, it is worth changing primarily eating habits, getting rid of smoking, or excessive drinking. Small physical activity, simple, regular exercises have a beneficial effect on the body. Otherwise, the changes will be short-lived, or will not be observed at all.
Thanks to a wide range of effective drugs, you can choose the one that is right for you. Depending on who needs the drug, its characteristics and properties depend. With special care, candles are selected for children, as well as pregnant women. For the latter, the choice should be careful, because the health and well-being of the future baby depends on this.
Before use, a visit to a specialist is recommended.
Advantages and disadvantages of laxative suppositories
- laxatives in the form of suppositories, unlike oral medicines, do not irritate the digestive tract,
- rectal suppositories act faster, as they are injected directly into the rectum. No need to wait until the medicine is digested and works,
- do not stretch the intestinal wall,
- do not cause feelings of swelling and bursting,
- candles gently improve bowel function,
- most rectal suppositories are allowed for pregnant women,
- work with different types of constipation,
- some tools can be used for a long time,
- psychological discomfort
- the presence of many contraindications
- not always convenient to use,
- possible mucosal damage,
- have no effect if the problem is above the rectum,
- most rectal suppositories are addictive
The most effective representatives
It is not worth risking your health in old age, therefore self-medication is unacceptable. Only a doctor can choose the right drug, which is allowed to a specific sick person, all contraindications always exist.
You can not place candles without permission in the presence of bleeding from the anus or acute abdominal pain. First, it is necessary to establish the cause of these symptoms, which is possible only in a medical institution.
Calciolax and Ferrolax
These candles are gas-forming, which can be used for constipation in older people. This is usually done 40 minutes after a morning meal once a day. These drugs have a minimum of contraindications and side effects (sometimes there may be discomfort or a slight burning sensation in the anus), so they are allowed even during pregnancy and children.
This group also includes the popular drug - Evacuus. These suppositories are manufactured using natural and effective ingredients that facilitate the bowel movement.
In some cases, the polyethylene glycol contained in these suppositories can cause an allergic reaction or irritation. When the first signs appear, it is worthwhile to abandon this drug and consult a specialist.
Sea buckthorn oil suppositories
Useful for solving a not too neglected problem. Often used during pregnancy or breastfeeding due to absolute safety and the absence of pronounced side effects. In addition to the laxative effect, candles have a healing effect. In some cases, they can be administered with hemorrhoids.
Suppositories for different groups of people
Each organism is unique, and this must be taken into account when selecting a laxative. Women should be especially careful during pregnancy and after childbirth.
Not everyone knows, but an improperly selected remedy can cause an increase in the tone of the uterus and, as a result, provoke a miscarriage.
This can be avoided if, before choosing and buying candles, consult a doctor who is observing a pregnant woman.
In this case, a safe solution to the problem of constipation will be found, which will not increase the risk of pathology and exclude the birth of a sick baby.
At risk for constipation and people who have undergone surgery. Everyone knows that the problem of constipation after surgery occurs in almost every patient.
But not all funds are suitable for use in the postoperative period. A suitable medication will be prescribed by your doctor.
Based on natural ingredients, such a unique remedy for constipation as sea buckthorn candles has been developed. As you know, sea buckthorn, or rather oil from it, has anti-inflammatory properties.
Therefore, suppositories, which include sea buckthorn extract, not only allow you to solve the "delicate" problem, but also provide a restorative and therapeutic effect on the tissue.
Given the features of the drug, it can also be used for hemorrhoids. By activating the processes of restoration of damaged tissues, sea buckthorn candles contribute to the improvement of human condition.
Gentle, but effective effect allows the use of suppositories based on sea buckthorn during pregnancy and after childbirth.
Sea-buckthorn candles are among the most budgetary funds available to buyers, regardless of their income level, and are popular with different categories of consumers.
True, choosing drugs based on sea buckthorn, you need to remember that these are sustained-release candles. If you need a quick result, it is better to opt for another product.
For anesthetic effect and elimination of spasms, experts recommend using suppositories based on papaverine.
The principle of the drug is to improve the motility of the colon, so this product is recommended, including for the elderly.
With sea buckthorn and pumpkin oil
Such suppositories are made exclusively from natural components, which allows not only to get rid of constipation, but also to improve the condition of the rectum. Most often, sea buckthorn suppositories are used to combat hemorrhoids or other damage to the mucous membrane.
A similar mechanism of action for candles containing pumpkin seed oil. However, this group of drugs is not highly effective, therefore, they are practically useless for severe and prolonged constipation.
Given the natural composition, there are practically no contraindications, except for individual intolerance to the drug. Candles are used purely in complex therapy as a symptomatic remedy.
Drugs for constipation
With constipation in adults and children over three years of age, especially when you need to achieve the desired effect as soon as possible, you can use a laxative like "Microlax".
It includes such a component as sodium citrate, which can both stimulate intestinal motility and thin the feces. The result occurs within 15 minutes after administration.
As you know, not all suppositories are allowed for use after childbirth or during pregnancy.
The main advantages of this product include its safety and versatility, because it can be used by older people and women after childbirth, and even to solve the problem of constipation in children.
True, before choosing a rectal suppository for constipation for a child, and even more so for a newborn, you should definitely consult a pediatric doctor.
Using this type of laxative to eliminate constipation in children and newborns without first identifying the cause and without prescribing a doctor is strictly not recommended.
Patients suffering from a rectal disease such as hemorrhoids are well acquainted with the pain syndrome, which often causes the problem of constipation.
Delayed stool can be triggered by pain when the anal canal is damaged.
For such complex cases, not only effective candles are needed, but also those that provide anesthetic effect.
In order to comprehensively approach the solution of such a problem of constipation, Relief quick-acting suppositories are recommended, which are recommended in the presence of anal fissures and hemorrhoids (even in the acute stage).
An equally important factor determining the choice of specific candles is their cost. In the pharmacy you can buy high-quality and at the same time inexpensive products, the effectiveness and safety of which has been confirmed in practice.
The price of the drug most often does not affect its effectiveness in any way: a cheap product copes with its main task no less effectively than a more expensive remedy.
The cost of the medicine depends on additional components that have, for example, anti-inflammatory or analgesic effects.
Relief can also be attributed to such, therefore, given its double effect, the price of the drug will be fully justified.
Candles are used as an anesthetic and laxative.
Papaverine eliminates spasms and frees the intestines. It affects everyone individually, the effect may not occur immediately. One candle is enough per day.
Contraindicated in the presence of glaucoma, hypersensitivity to the components, liver failure.
Use with caution during pregnancy, in the elderly and children. It is prescribed only by the attending physician, as contraindications are present.
The cost of 60-110 rubles.
Technique of use and contraindications
To get rid of constipation, you must either consult a doctor, or carefully study the instructions for use, which the manufacturer attaches to each drug.
The information obtained will help not only to choose the right tool, but also to use it effectively, which is equally important to achieve a positive result.
Using candles is unlikely to be very difficult. The easiest way is to enter the drug while in a supine position (on the back or on the side).
But before you enter the suppository, you need to carry out standard hygiene procedures, which include washing the perineum and anal ring with warm water.
Then, using a towel, you need to wipe the treated areas, after which you can proceed to the main manipulation.
The time of administration is selected based on the period through which the drug begins to act. Usually, experts advise using candles with a laxative effect in the morning.
But if the effect of the drug begins a few hours after administration, it is better to use the medicine late in the evening (before bedtime).
Despite the fact that some suppositories can be used in childhood, and the elderly, and women during pregnancy or after childbirth, and patients who have undergone the surgical period, but for them there may be certain contraindications.
Firstly, the use of a laxative in the form of suppositories should be abandoned if a person is intolerant or hypersensitive to the components that make up the drug.
For example, components such as shark liver oil, cocoa butter and petroleum jelly are often included.
This treatment method is better to refuse with:
- intestinal obstruction,
- the presence of a tumor that blocks the intestinal lumen,
- severe bleeding (from an anal fissure),
- exacerbated hemorrhoids (the only exception is a product such as Relief),
- paraproctitis or acute proctitis.
The market for pharmaceuticals includes products of different brands - both Western and domestic.
The choice of a remedy for constipation in the form of candles depends on the preferences and awareness of the buyer, his financial capabilities and other factors.
The most correct way is to use drugs prescribed by your doctor. Self-medication with medicinal suppositories is fraught with complications and unforeseen "surprises."
An intestinal disorder accompanied by difficult, rare diffraction can be a symptom of an illness or an independent disease. Sometimes the ailment becomes chronic, brings a lot of inconvenience. Affects both the elderly and middle-aged children.
The causes of constipation are diverse and individual. As a rule, the culprits are:
- unbalanced diet with insufficient fiber,
- lack of regular purified water in the diet,
- emotional stress
- side effects of drugs
- diseases of the adrenal gland, thyroid gland, anal zone,
- the presence of tumors, polyps.
In the case of stool less than 3 times a week in adults, the presence of intestinal disorders is noted. If the situation is left to chance, then serious complications will arise in the future. Mostly obvious - hemorrhoids, prolapse of the rectum, anal fissures. Chronic constipation causes allergies, impaired immunity, chronic fatigue syndrome appears.
If the delay in the stool appears occasionally, then proper nutrition, a rest regimen, and soon the problem will go away by itself. When difficulty persists constantly, laxatives come to the rescue.
What side effects occur with constipation suppositories?
With the constant use of laxatives in the form of candles, various side effects can be noted:
- severe diarrhea
- violation of the normal activity of the small intestine,
- colon melanosis,
- itching in the anal area.
One of the most common problems that rectal suppository fans face is a decrease in colon tone. Due to the strong "relaxation" of the body, you will hardly be able to empty the intestines without the use of special means. This will entail the search for new remedies against constipation, and the problem will not be resolved again.
It is important to find out that you have no contraindications before starting treatment. You should not be guided solely by the opinions and recommendations of friends: each organism is individual.
Can constipation suppositories be used to treat young children?
Moms and dads carefully monitor the health of the child, however, even in healthy children, bowel movements do not always occur strictly according to certain hours. Stool retention in babies may not occur due to a serious illness. Observe the behavior of the child. To think about the use of gentle laxatives is in such situations:
- the child’s tummy swollen,
- the baby is anxious, becomes nervous and irritable,
- more than 3 days have passed since the last bowel movement,
- the child refuses food, favorite activities.
For the treatment of children, glycerin suppositories are most often used. Special children's suppositories will greatly facilitate the condition of the child and help to avoid unpleasant sensations during bowel movements. To prevent such situations from happening again, often let your child drink clean water. You can use popular folk recipes.
If you plan to use rectal suppositories from constipation for a child, remember simple recommendations:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.. Carefully open the packaging. Sometimes, aids such as cosmetic petroleum jelly are required to facilitate the administration of a suppository.
- Make sure that in front of you is truly a product for children. Candles for babies are produced in a smaller size, which avoids discomfort when introduced into the anal area.
- Try to reassure the baby so that he does not get nervous during the procedure. You can ask a loved one to help you.
- Avoid too harsh action. The candle must be administered carefully and slowly, otherwise there is a risk of injury to the intestinal wall.
Doctors advise using candles for constipation in the event that the child is 3 months old. To achieve the desired effect, only 0.75 g of the drug is enough (half the dose for an adult).
The use of suppositories to treat constipation in the elderly
In old age people often face various diseases. Due to natural changes in the body and reduced physical activity, peristalsis worsens. Many elderly people go to the doctor to solve a delicate problem.
Conventional laxatives are not always effective. Tablets can cause side effects, which is undesirable for the elderly. That is why doctors often recommend glycerin suppositories for constipation. Bisacodyl suppositories will increase the volume of fluid.
Attention! Constipation in older people can begin not only due to age-related changes. One of the most dangerous causes of stool retention is malignant neoplasms. If stool with blood, weakness, fatigue, rapid weight loss, abdominal pain, increased gas formation are attached to constant constipation, an urgent examination is necessary. In no case do not torture the body with self-medication.
What remedies can be used during pregnancy and lactation?
Most often, the most gentle candles are prescribed for pregnant and lactating women: calciopax, ferropax, lithium-bicarbonate and rhubarb suppositories.To avoid possible troubles, doctors advise using "auxiliary" drugs no more than 1 time in 72 hours.
It is better to discuss the issue of the appropriateness of using a particular tool with a doctor. Suppositories with belladonna grass, propolis, calendula, ichthyol suppositories may be needed after the birth of the baby. They gently affect the body without causing discomfort. If a woman has anal fissures, the doctor will prescribe a comprehensive treatment using natural drugs.
How to maximize the effect of using candles?
Remember that suppositories are not a cure, but a temporary support measure for your body. In order not to harm yourself, try to follow simple recommendations:
- Visit the toilet immediately after the first urge to defecate: do not wait for an opportunity.
- Keep track of the amount of fluid you drink. 2 liters of water per day is the norm for a person who has a tendency to stool retention.
- Use a variety of supplements, such as fiber and bran.
- Try to increase physical activity. Do yoga, twist a gymnastic hoop, go hiking. There is a special charge to activate the intestines.
- Stop drinking and smoking. Many laxatives are not combined with alcohol.
- Do a stomach massage as recommended by a doctor.
Do not get carried away with laxatives. It is not necessary to combine several drugs. Remember that with too active use of such funds, beneficial salts are washed out of the body. As a result, the condition of the whole organism can worsen significantly.
Candles as laxatives for constipation for the elderly
Among laxative suppositories, there are a lot of drugs that are diverse in composition and effect.
Gas-forming suppositories contribute to the formation of gases in the intestines, stretching its walls and helping to promote feces. To do this, you can choose tools based on lithium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and citric acid. They must be used after a morning meal in 30 minutes - 50 minutes.
Glycerin suppositories optimize peristalsis and irritate the rectum. In addition, glycerin acts as a softening agent that promotes the evacuation of feces from the body. You can enter the suppository after 20 minutes after a morning meal.
Tasks for laxative suppositories for the elderly
To decide which drug is better to give preference, you need to understand what he has to deal with. Constipation in people aged occurs not only for generally accepted reasons: malnutrition, lack of physical activity, dysbiosis, but also for specific for this age group. Therefore, candles for elderly patients should:
- By stimulating the intestinal receptors, significantly increase peristalsis, since, due to the progression of muscle weakness in adulthood, it is significantly reduced.
- With the help of increasing the osmotic pressure in the intestine, draw liquid into its lumen, thereby thinning the stool.
- Stimulate the work of intestinal sphincters, as age-related changes could not but affect their functional state.
- Lubricate and envelop the thinned intestinal wall, preventing damage and facilitating easier movement of feces.
In addition to these tasks, rectal suppositories for age-related patients are scored taking into account changes in the whole organism, and therefore should not:
- affect the level of blood pressure and the work of the cardiovascular system,
- have a strong negative effect on the liver, due to hepatotoxic effects,
- reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken by the patient,
- cause bouts of intestinal colic and other pain,
- contribute to the development of addiction, as this can significantly complicate further therapy.
It is desirable that the active components of the drug contain natural substances that have a mild laxative effect and do not harm the body.
Unfortunately, not a single drug meets all these requirements, and therefore, the choice for each specific person must be carried out individually, taking into account the characteristics of his body.
Classification of rectal suppositories by action
|Rectal laxatives: suppositories with sea buckthorn oil, glycerin, etc.||Contain oily substances that eliminate constipation. This oily base helps turn on the reflex mechanisms and helps to reduce muscle fibers of the intestines.|
|Bisacodyl||Helps to develop intestinal mucus, which envelops the feces and contributes to their more comfortable passage through the intestines.|
|Candles with rhubarb, Ferrolax, Calciolax||The receptors inside the intestinal mucosa are irritated by the bubbles that form during dissolution.|
Elena Malysheva and hemorrhoids
“... I often talk about medical methods of treatment, paying attention to surgical intervention. Much less often voiced funds that belong to the category of family, folk recipes. However, today we will talk about a drug that has not only been tested by hundreds of people ... "
Read the article >>>
Preparations for nursing mothers
The health of a woman after childbirth is particularly vulnerable. She can easily catch a virus or infection. Immunity is greatly weakened by childbirth, and the body responds easily to any stimuli.
That is why it is necessary to select medicines with extreme caution. Laxative suppositories for constipation in nursing mothers have a milder effect and fewer side effects
These funds include:
These are candles belonging to the group of glycerin preparations
They deserve special attention due to the presence in their composition of the active substance - glycerol. They can be used by women during pregnancy, after childbirth or during feeding.
From contraindications - the presence of acute hemorrhoids or tumors in the rectum. For people with renal insufficiency, administration is indicated only after examination by a physician.
Also, the tool is not designed for a long course of admission. After relieving pain and restoring normal stool, you should immediately stop taking the drug.
When to use constipation suppositories
Rectal drugs should be used in case of a chronic form of the problem. They are effective in worsening receptor susceptibility and muscle weakness, and also if the difficulty of emptying is accompanied by microcracks, anus scars or hemorrhoids. Appointed with constipation as a result of sedentary work, age. This type of laxative quick action is suitable for the elderly, children, during pregnancy, breastfeeding.
Suppositories should be placed once every 24 hours. The best time to use is in the morning. You can simplify the formulation by performing the procedure lying on your side. After 10-15 minutes, visit the toilet. After the candles you will feel a quick relief.
Suppositories cannot permanently restore bowel function. This form of medication is becoming an emergency aid for adults and children. If you use them constantly, you may experience diarrhea or, conversely, increase constipation. Therefore, do not often resort to the help of these funds.
The correct prescription of the medicine is possible only by a doctor. Self-medication may at best not bring effect, and at worst cause dangerous complications. Therefore, before using auxiliary drugs, be sure to consult a specialist.
Instructions for use
Before using the capsule, it is necessary to rinse the area for introducing candles and treat them with antibacterial agents.Next, follow the ordered algorithm:
- wash your hands with soap and cool several times under the tap,
- move the suppository for a few minutes into the freezer. So make it easier to inject the medicine into the rectum,
- remove the packaging and grease the candle with a lubricant,
- take a lying position on your side. The left leg should be straightened, and the right leg should be bent at the knee and pressed to the chest,
- lifting the left buttock, relax the pre-ductal area,
- the suppository is administered carefully and effortlessly. Comfortable depth for a person is individual,
- an alternative option for placing the body is the squatting position,
- after administering the medicine, keep the original position for 5 minutes. If necessary, squeeze the buttocks with your hands. So prevent the capsule from coming out,
- at the end of the procedure, wash your hands.
Rectal suppositories are used once every 24 hours. The best time for the procedure is in the morning. Take into account that the drug interacts with the body 10-15 minutes after entering. It is not recommended to be active during this period. Before using medicines, be sure to consult a qualified doctor. The doctor will choose the best drug for constipation.
Belladonna is the name of a herbaceous plant, also known as "belladonna." One of the cheapest means, allows you to quickly stop inflammatory and infectious foci. Prevents pain.
Belladonna relieves cramping, pain, treats hemorrhoids, has a laxative effect. Contraindicated in glaucoma, heart disease, and women who are breastfeeding. Candles are prescribed after surgery to accelerate the healing of the anal canal. The drug is available without a prescription, but without consulting a doctor, you should not use it.
Ichthyol is an organic substance obtained from oil shale resins. The composition of the preparations includes plants, beeswax. The cost of candles is not more than 100 rubles. They easily and safely remove inflammatory processes, do not contain antibiotics, relieve spasms, and can help natural emptying. With cracks, accelerate healing. An enema is recommended before use. Allowed for use by young children.
Overview of the most effective drugs
The modern market offers a large number of medicines against this ailment, but most often experts prescribe:
1. Rhubarb rhizome. The medicine for constipation is available in the form of tablets and powder, prescribed in case of chronic constipation. The dosage and method of administration is prescribed only by the doctor.
2. Kafiol fights persistent or persistent constipation. The tool is taken 1 time per day, but with a problem stool it is allowed to use it twice. The laxative effect occurs within a few hours after taking the drug.
3. Phenolphthalein is an inexpensive medicine, available in the form of tablets and powder. It is prescribed to eliminate persistent constipation. The doctor prescribes the dosage and dosage regimen, although older people often use it as a self-medication.
4. Isafenin is available in powder and tablet form. The drug effectively fights chronic constipation and stomach discomfort. The result of taking this remedy for constipation occurs within a few hours.
5. Regulax is prescribed for short-term constipation. It can not be used for preventive purposes, because it can provoke addiction. It is taken 1 dice per day, the laxative effect lasts more than 8 hours. The optimal course of administration is 5-7 days. It is contraindicated for people suffering from intestinal obstruction, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease and allergies to the components of the composition.
6. Guttalax - an effective and fairly inexpensive drug. The permissible dosage per day is 10-20 drops. The more severe the symptoms, the more medication you need to take.It gently removes constipation in the elderly and prevents their further occurrence. The only drawback of Gutallax is that, like Regulax, it is addictive. Doctors recommend using it for no more than a month, and then replace it with another medicine.
7. Bisacodyl is prescribed for acute constipation and weak peristalsis of the colon, after surgery. The drug is available in the form of candles and tablets. Elderly people take 1-3 tablets or 1-2 suppositories before bedtime. With severe constipation, it is allowed to drink 2-3 tablets half an hour before a meal. The tool should be taken only as prescribed by the doctor and strictly according to the instructions. The drug is not suitable for people suffering from spastic constipation, acute hemorrhoids or allergies to the components of Bisacodyl.
8. Senade. These tablets for constipation are prescribed for chronic manifestations of the disease and for the normalization of stool with hemorrhoids. The drug is taken on the recommendation of a doctor, since only he can choose the right dosage and treatment regimen. It is contraindicated for people suffering from a stomach or rectum ulcer, an injured hernia, gastrointestinal diseases, allergies to the components of the composition. With the wrong dosage, Senada provokes diarrhea, fatigue, a rash on the skin, in rare cases, nausea and frequent vomiting.
9. Glycerin suppositories. These laxatives for constipation are used once a day, preferably in the morning. They well soften feces and facilitate their release. The medicine is contraindicated for people suffering from acute hemorrhoids and inflammation in the intestines. In some patients, suppositories caused burning and pain after administration, so they are best used as directed by a doctor.
10. Dufalac stimulates intestinal motility and stabilizes the absorption of beneficial elements. Elderly people should follow the instructions and take the medicine 3 times a day. An overdose provokes severe abdominal pain and flatulence.
11. Prelax is a dietary supplement. It has a mild laxative effect and removes pathogenic microorganisms from the intestines. Accepted only on the advice of a doctor, not suitable for self-medication. The medicine is contraindicated for people suffering from individual lactose intolerance. Prelax is prescribed if other laxatives do not help with severe constipation.
12. Mucofalk is prescribed for the treatment of chronic constipation. Adults take 1 sachet of the drug 3-5 times a day. The dosage and course are prescribed by the doctor, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient. Mucofalk is prescribed in cases where a person is allergic to irritating laxatives.
13. Normolax improves intestinal motility and the digestive process. It is a source of dietary fiber and organic acids. It is not addictive, therefore it is prescribed to patients who regularly take laxatives. Normolax is drunk according to the instructions and requires that the patient drink at least a liter of water per day.
14. Fortrans is prescribed for chronic constipation, in preparing the patient for bowel examinations or surgery. Suitable for treatment only by adults. Attributed in cases where other laxatives do not help with constipation. It is contraindicated for people suffering from Crohn's disease and allergies to its constituent components. In case of an overdose, it provokes nausea, vomiting, a rash on the body.
15. Karlovy Vary salt is contraindicated in patients with impaired renal and cardiovascular system. Like other osmotic laxatives for constipation, it is taken only as directed by a doctor.
16. Candles with papaverine - an inexpensive effective medicine. When ingested in the rectum, suppositories quickly soften feces and facilitate emptying.They are used no more than 3 times a day, with an overdose provoke itching near the anus and discomfort in the abdomen. It is prescribed in cases where the patient needs to temporarily replace the main laxatives with constipation.
The fight against an ailment in age has its own nuances and features. Experts do not recommend the use of enemas, rinses, and potent laxatives in chronic constipations without the permission of a doctor.
As a rule, elderly patients require complex treatment, which consists of:
- A special diet, including the intake of plant foods with a high content of fiber and a large amount of water.
- Morning exercise. Scientists have proven that constipation in a bedridden patient occurs 4 times more often.
- Laxatives selected by the doctor, taking into account all the characteristics of the patient’s body.
Stool Delay Prevention
So that in old age constipation does not turn into a serious ailment, experts recommend regular preventive measures. Initially, a person should adjust his diet. The diet includes:
- Vegetables and fruits.
- Dairy products with a small percentage of fat.
- Dietary meats and fish.
- Dried fruits.
- Whole grain cereals.
- Rye bread.
Older people should limit or exclude from food:
- Sweet soda.
- Coffee and strong tea.
- Fat meat.
- Flour products.
- Spicy and fried foods.
- Coarse fiber-rich vegetables (legumes, cabbage).
To prevent stool problems, older people are required to eat small meals 5-6 times a day and chew food slowly. The optimum temperature of the dishes is 15-55 ° C. It is recommended that you perform simple physical exercises, do yourself a morning massage before breakfast and drink at least a liter of water per day.
Candles for constipation for pregnant women and breastfeeding women
Many women expecting a baby experience bowel problems. Due to the rearrangement of the hormonal background, a new lifestyle, the work of the colon is disrupted. With such symptoms, it is necessary to consult a doctor during pregnancy. Since untimely stools can lead to hemorrhoids. There is a risk of premature birth or poisoning of the body.
During pregnancy, not all drugs are allowed because of the risk of adverse effects of the components on the fetus. Especially high risk in the early stages. Candles mainly of plant origin will not harm the body of a woman and her child. They produce a mild effect without increasing the tone of the uterus.
As a rule, sea buckthorn and glycerin suppositories are prescribed. They are effective and do not produce negative effects on the body. Suppositories with sea buckthorn oil have a beneficial effect on the intestines due to the significant amount of alpha acids. Suppositories with belladonna during pregnancy should only be used as recommended by a doctor, usually before childbirth. Since belladonna helps to open the cervix. When choosing rectal drugs, you should especially carefully consider the composition, excluding allergic reactions.
During pregnancy and lactation
Since the female body undergoes many changes during this period, representatives of the weaker sex can be disturbed by frequent constipation. Despite the fact that this condition is temporary, it should not be ignored, since the potential danger to the expectant mother is still not excluded.
Suppositories during pregnancy are the safest and most effective way to combat constipation.
In the second and third trimesters, experts recommend the use of glycerin suppositories. This is due to the fact that they do not have a negative effect on the tone of the uterus.
However, their use should be carried out with extreme caution.
It is also not forbidden to use glycine and sea buckthorn preparations, in particular this applies to the lactation period.
In the elderly
For older people, most often, experts prescribe laxatives based on glycerol. In most cases, bisacodyl is the most popular among these drugs.
If there is a previous heart attack in the history, then it is strictly forbidden to use candles with glycine. You can put vasilin candles or made from laundry soap.
After surgery, the use of laxatives for constipation helps to cleanse the human body from the effects of anesthesia. This is due to the fact that surgical intervention has a relaxing effect on the muscles, and in order to restore it, it takes quite a long time.
The most popular suppositories include Bisacodyl. The drug irritates the mucosa, provoking an amount of fluid, thereby facilitating the process of excreting feces from the rectum.
Candles against constipation for infants and young children
Toddler's chair is one of the common childhood problems that bothers parents. Normally, in children under one year of age, the number of bowel movements is similar to the number of meals. After one year, the amount decreases to 1-2 times a day. In the absence of emptying for more than 2-3 days, beware and find out the cause of the violation by specialists.
To treat the disease in children, glycerin suppositories are used. Less often gas-forming, sea-buckthorn. They have no contraindications, gently act, causing contractions of the rectum. The natural composition allows you not to be afraid of irritations.
Of course, completely harmless drugs cannot exist. The use of any drug is necessary only as directed by a doctor. To eliminate stool disorders, you need to establish the causes of the disease by conducting a qualitative examination. If the application is really necessary, use the candles correctly, carefully studying the instructions. If the medicine does not bring effect and the child does not feel better, consult a doctor immediately.
The combination of laxative suppositories with other drugs
Before using any drugs, you must read the instructions and pay attention to the interaction of drugs.
Glycerin suppositories can be safely used in combination with other medicines. The effectiveness of bisacodyl is reduced by potassium, aluminum, opiate.
The use of bisacodyl with psychotropic drugs is not recommended.
Localization of constipation
At the place of occurrence of constipation are divided into two types:
- Kologenny - waste masses accumulate in the high intestinal sections. Often due to tumors, scars that prevent the feces from moving forward.
- Proctogenic - the masses stagnate in the rectum. There are several reasons for this: weak muscles of the pelvic floor, decreased receptor susceptibility, the presence of cracks, hemorrhoids, hernias, tumors, and scars in the lower intestinal zone.
These constipation can cause all sorts of pathologies in the intestines. Laxative suppositories will help to get rid of stagnation in the rectum. If constipation occurs elsewhere, such drugs will be of little help. If stagnation occurs due to a tumor, scars, then candles can not help at all.
Are rectal suppositories allowed for everyone
Laxative suppositories are contraindicated in the presence of various diseases of the rectum, with individual intolerance.
Do not use candles for a long time, as the body gets used to these helpers. The opposite reaction in the form of diarrhea is possible. Pressure drop, cramps, weakness are not excluded.
What to do if a person cannot go to the toilet? You can drink special drugs with a laxative effect.
Laxatives for constipation for the elderly are prescribed if therapy without drugs is useless. Prescribing laxatives is considered a necessary measure.
Such drugs help out if the patient develops constipation on the background of hemorrhoids and rectal cracks. Use in the presence of hernias, after surgery or before surgery, after a stroke.
Laxatives are divided into groups in accordance with the mechanisms of action:
|Types of laxatives||What is included|
|Ballast means||Methyl cellulose, diet bran, plantain fruit|
|Osmotic action||Glauber's salt, sodium phosphate, citations of magnesia, magnesia hydroxide, magnesia sulfate|
|Osmotic sugars||Lactitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol|
|Diphenylethane derivatives||Bisacodyl phenolphthalein|
|Epithelial agents and activating secretion||Sodium picosulfate, docusates, bile salts|
Laxatives for constipation are contraindicated if the patient has:
- acute diseases accompanied by fever
- bowel obstruction
- inflammation in the abdominal cavity
You should be aware that taking drugs with a laxative effect over the long term can cause unwanted side effects. For example, addiction leads to an increase in the dose of the drug. This causes inertia of the colon and impairs its motility.
Elderly people often use a drug like Guttasil. Colorless drops contain in their composition the main active ingredient - sodium picosulfate. The substance manifests its activity in the colon, activating the work of the nerve endings of the intestinal mucosa and its motility. After a course of treatment with Guttasil, the intestinal microflora normalizes and metabolic processes are established.
The treatment of constipation with folk remedies is best agreed with the doctor. At this age, self-medication can only do harm.
In older people, the treatment of constipation presents certain difficulties. The goal of therapy is to eliminate the cause of the pathology. Treatment is carried out taking into account age features. In case of ineffectiveness of non-drug treatment, laxatives are prescribed to the patient.
CONTRAINDICATIONS ARE NECESSARY CONSULTATION BY A HEALING DOCTOR
Variety of medicines for constipation
Experts recommend that the elderly adhere to a diet, exclude heavy and fatty foods from the diet, drink more water and perform simple physical exercises every day. Doctors do not recommend frequent use of laxatives and prescribe them:
- Before conducting operations.
- As an adjunct to anthelmintic medicine.
- After poisoning.
- With adynamia, atherosclerosis, thyroid disease, chronic constipation in the elderly.
Constipation drugs are divided into 5 categories:
1. Annoying. Laxatives act on the large intestine and stimulate peristalsis in it. The effect of the drug occurs 5-7 hours after administration. Doctors prescribe drugs of this group in rare cases of constipation, since their regular intake can provoke atony and bowel obstruction, belching, and abdominal pain. Due to the low price and good results, older people prefer to use drugs as self-medication, which only aggravate their condition. Popular representatives are Bisacodyl, Regulax and Senade.
2. Osmotic. Laxatives well retain fluid in the stomach, which liquefies feces and facilitates its release. Unlike annoying, the body does not get used to these drugs and they are suitable for self-medication. They are allowed to take no more than 2 months, since they can provoke disturbances in the cardiovascular system. Popular osmotic drugs are Fortrans, sodium sulfate and Karlovy Vary salt.
3. Prebiotics.Laxatives in the lower intestines stimulate the growth and reproduction of beneficial microorganisms, which restore the normal functionality of the organ. The drugs combine the action of osmotic and irritating laxatives, give an effect after 2 hours after administration. The body does not get used to them, so older people drink them without a doctor's prescription. Popular probiotics are Prelax, Lactulose, Dufalac.
4. Volumetric. The safest medicines, since they consist only of natural ingredients. When they enter the intestines, they are not digested, attract liquid to themselves, increase and provide comfortable bowel movements. Elderly people should drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day when taking these medicines. The effect of the drugs occurs after 8-12 hours, in some cases within 2 days. The specific effect is due to the fact that they are designed to combat mild or moderate constipation. Volumetric laxatives have one drawback - they provoke flatulence and bloating. Popular representatives are Mucofalk and Methylcellulose.
5. Oils - inexpensive medicines soften stools well, thereby facilitating their sliding along the intestines. The effect occurs after 3 hours.
Oils for constipation are recommended for people suffering from hemorrhoids, high arterial hypertension and abdominal hernia. They are contraindicated for prolonged use, since they have a carcinogenic effect.
Groups of suppository candles
Modern medicinal laxatives, depending on the main mechanism of action, are divided into several groups:
- Softeners or emollients (Glycerin, Liquid paraffin, Almond oil, Norgalax) - the active ingredients are of fatty origin, they mainly have an effect in the small and large intestines. It consists in softening feces, stimulating intestinal motility (wave-like wall movements aimed at pushing the contents), reducing the absorption of fluid from the lumen, as well as facilitating the movement of stool.
- Osmotic agents in the form of salts (magnesium sulfate), non-digestible carbohydrates (Lactulose, Dufalac), as well as Macrogol and its analogues - drugs increase the osmotic pressure of the intestinal contents, as a result of which fluid from the tissues enters the lumen, leading to softening of feces.
- Bulk products (Seaweed, Figs, Flax Seeds) - the components of the preparations are not digested in the intestine, increase the volume of its contents, preventing the absorption of water. This leads to a reflex increase in peristalsis and the rapid excretion of feces.
- Contact or irritant laxatives (Castor oil, Guttalax, Bisacodyl) - compounds have an irritating effect on the intestinal mucosa and nerve endings located in it. As a result, peristalsis is enhanced, the movement of intestinal contents is accelerated, followed by the excretion of soft feces.
Depending on the dosage form, preparations for oral (oral) administration and suppositories (rectal suppositories) are allocated.
Useful tips for preventing and combating constipation
- After waking up, drink a glass of water half an hour before the morning meal. This is necessary to prepare the stomach for digestion,
- During the day, drink more fluids - water, fruit drinks, fruit drinks, herbal teas,
- It is useful to drink kefir before bedtime. This allows the intestines to prepare for the working day,
- Eat fruits and vegetables regularly, especially beets, prunes, cabbage,
- Eat small meals several times a day, avoid late meals,
- For the prevention of constipation, flour, sweet, fried, smoked,
- Timely visit the toilet,
- Move more.
If you have problems with bowel movements, you should consult a doctor to identify the cause.Self-medication, as a rule, only exacerbates the situation. For the prevention of stool difficulties, proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle, it is important to try to avoid stressful situations.
Constipation in the elderly: what to do?
The first step is a survey, including:
- general blood analysis,
- taking blood for hormones,
- if necessary endoscopic examination,
- X-ray and ultrasound of the abdominal cavity.
A thorough treatment of constipation should be carried out by a qualified doctor, since in order to achieve a result, the cause of the disease must be identified. If there is constipation with blood, the causes can be found here.
To constipation can lead to:
- digestive system diseases
- nervous problems
- endocrine diseases
- failure in the reproductive system, etc.
Constipation is divided into 2 types:
- Primary (functional, caused by a temporary breakdown in digestion). This type of constipation: usually does not require treatment and passes on its own after a few days,
- requires special attention to the diet of an elderly person.
- Be sure to find and eliminate its cause.
Despite the mass of advantages and the quick effect of candles, there are circumstances in which the funds do not help, and their actions can become fatal. For instance:
- there is acute abdominal pain of unknown origin,
- bowel oncology,
- damage or the presence of blood discharge from the anal canal,
- acute appendicitis or peritonitis,
- severe nausea, vomiting,
- violation of the processes in the rectum.
Even in the absence of contraindications, effective medical treatment will require consultation with a doctor. Only a medical professional can make a correct diagnosis. Extremely careful attention to contraindications for the elderly and children under 14 years of age. Remember that regular prophylaxis is better than cure. The order in the diet, compliance with the drinking regime, timely visits to the toilet will help to keep the intestines healthy!
Causes of development and risk factors
The cause of constipation in old age is most often a digestive tract disorder. Less commonly, medications that affect the digestive tract.
|Causes of bowel movements||Description of the problem|
|Nutrition factors||Elderly people begin to eat less with age. The diet reduces the amount of dietary fiber and the amount of drinking water. This leads to a decrease in fluid in the feces. As a result, the total volume of feces. It is getting harder. This leads to the development of pathology.|
|Decreased motor activity||For the most part, older people lead a sedentary lifestyle, which does not affect the work of the intestine in the best way. A decrease in motor activity is associated with the lack of the need to go to work every day. Often associated with diseases and forced bed rest. In most cases, this leads to chronic constipation.|
|Diseases characteristic of the elderly||Movement activity is often reduced due to a number of diseases. For example, disorders in the endocrine system, stroke, depressive states, mental disorders.|
|Medication||The presence of diseases sometimes requires long-term therapy with drugs. The following drugs are most often associated with chronic constipation in older people: narcotic opium alkaloids, narcotic analgesics, psychotropic drugs, tranquilizers, diuretics, cephalosporin antibiotics, antispasmodics, high-pressure drugs, drugs for Parkinson's disease and some others.|
|Pathologies of the anorectal region and age-related changes||Diseases that contribute to the development of constipation. This hemorrhoids, complicated by anal fissures, various types of proctalgia, anorectal obstruction, squeezing the rectum from the outside. Age-related changes can also cause emptying problems. For example, a decrease in the number of neurons in the intramuscular plexus, a change in the quality of the gastrointestinal peptides, pathological changes in the sphincter of the rectum. Less commonly, intestinal motility and a slowdown in the fecal transit process by more than 68 hours.|
|Other reasons||The bad habit of restraining the urge to run the bowels naturally leads to a stretch of the rectum and deprives it of the ability to signal defecation. In this case, we are talking about the so-called habitual constipation.|
In order to correctly diagnose and objectively assess the general condition of the patient, the doctor must conduct an examination. This is done with the help of deep and superficial palpation of the abdomen. The specialist prescribes an examination of the anorectal region and receives information about the patient’s neuropsychiatric state.
How to use rectal suppositories
- Rectal suppositories should be stored in a cool place, which will preserve their shape and effectiveness. However, the suppository used should not be too cold, it should be warmed slightly in hands before use.
- Before setting the suppository, the adult performing the manipulation should thoroughly wash their hands with warm water and soap.
- The skin in the perianal region of the patient needs to be cleaned (for example, using sterile oil).
- The suppository is injected with a narrowed edge into the rectum to a depth of about 2.5 cm, after which the child is recommended to lay on his stomach and close his buttocks with his hands so that the drug does not fall out.
- After defecation, the skin around the anus of a child needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
- If the expected effect is absent, the dosage and / or frequency of use of the drug should not be increased.
If side effects occur, discontinue the use of suppositories and consult a doctor who can cancel or replace the drug.
Indications for the appointment of laxative suppositories
Laxative suppositories act only at the local level, that is, they do not affect the condition of the whole organism. This fact is considered an advantage of rectal suppositories, but why then do not always appoint laxative suppositories for the elderly? Their use is justified only in a few cases, these are:
- Proctogenic constipation, that is, an accumulation of feces at the level of the rectum. If the constipation is cologenic, then feces accumulate in the large intestine, and suppositories at this level have little effect. However, some rectal suppositories can help with cologenic constipation.
- Short-term constipation. Occasional difficulty in defecation may be the result of a change of scenery, the introduction of unusual food into the diet, and a decrease in moisture in the body in hot weather.
- Comprehensive treatment of constipation. With prolonged constipation and negative manifestations of lack of stool, it is necessary to be examined and undergo a course of drug therapy, all drugs in this case are selected based on violations in the digestive system. Laxatives in the form of suppositories can be used before obtaining the results of the examination or at the beginning of the course to achieve quick relief of bowel movements.
It is advisable that the rectal suppositories be selected by the doctor. Independently you need to purchase only the safest of them, but at the same time you need to consider all contraindications.
Rectal suppository from constipation in most cases is prohibited for the introduction of:
- With bleeding from the rectum.
- When symptoms indicate an acute abdomen.
In older people, contraindications to the use of suppositories can be fissures of the rectum and anus, ulcers.But in these cases, the doctor may prescribe suppositories, the mechanism of action of which is aimed at eliminating these pathologies.
At the same time, these suppositories will also facilitate bowel movements, of course the laxative effect from them is lower, but it is quite enough to cope with a short constipation.
Prevention of constipation at home
In order to prevent, the following actions should be performed:
- You need to eat at least three to four times a day, and the time between meals should not exceed five hours.
- You need to eat two hours before bedtime.
- Before going to bed, you can drink kefir.
- Snacks in the form of dried fruits are allowed, which contribute to intestinal motility: dried apricots, prunes.
- There are products with a laxative effect and a large amount of dietary fiber: vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, bran, sour-milk products.
- You should eat less mashed potatoes and all the dishes that are wiped (cream soups). Also to limit is porridge with easy digestibility (crushed cereals, semolina), strong black tea, red wine, cocoa and all products with it, pomegranate, persimmon, blueberries. They contribute to obstruction.
- Eat less flour and with caution - meat.
- Every day you should drink 1.5 - 2 liters of liquid, if there are no contraindications. It is better to drink compotes and fruit drinks without sweeteners than just boiled water, a carbonated drink or black tea.
- It is necessary to lead an active lifestyle. There are also special exercises aimed at preventing constipation.
- Less worry. Stress affects the body so that the gastrointestinal tract may deteriorate and constipation may occur. Therefore, it is important to learn not to worry and be stressed.
- Observe bowel movements.
IMPORTANT! With a tendency to constipation, you need to drink a lot of water!
Symptoms of pathology
In old age, you should pay attention to your state of health in the presence of the following symptoms:
- during the bowel movement, you have to push,
- the chair has a dense and fragmented consistency,
- after emptying, the feeling remains that the intestines are not completely empty,
- in the process of straining, there is a feeling of blocking feces in the rectum,
- the need to remove feces from the rectum with the fingers while supporting the pelvic floor,
- loose stools occur only after drinking a laxative,
- urge to defecate less often three times a week.
The problem may be acute. Acute constipation is diagnosed if there has been no bowel movement for several days. The cause may be dynamic or mechanical obstruction.
Causes of temporary constipation may be:
- travel and climate change
- change of living conditions
- change of diet
- bed rest
- taking certain medications
Causes of Constipation
In all people, including children and elderly patients, the causes of constipation are the same:
- Hypodynamia. Modern man moves very little and spends a lot of time in a sitting position. More often it is typical for seniors and office workers.
Therefore, the bowel slows down, and feces stagnate inside. Going to the toilet becomes problematic.
It is important to know that the absence of stool for two days in adults is considered the norm. Therefore, such a fact cannot be considered as a sign of constipation.
In order to prevent the weakening of peristalsis, you should adhere to a certain diet. The following products with a laxative effect have a beneficial effect on the functioning of the intestine:
- raw and steamed vegetables,
- fruits, berries,
- Sugar-free drinks
- flower honey
- cereals made on water with the addition of butter,
- vegetable oil,
- lactic acid products
- rye crackers
- white meat, fish.
For constipation, do not eat hot foods with lots of salt. In addition, there are products that are prohibited for frequent use, as they can weaken intestinal motility. These include:
- berries and fruits with astringent effect
- fresh bread
- strong tea, coffee.
It is necessary to completely eliminate the use of rice and semolina porridge.
Possible consequences with long-term use of candles
Candles should not be used for a long time, as there are some negative consequences:
- severe diarrhea
- lowering blood pressure
- muscle weakness
- burning sensation near the input site,
- addiction to the drug and the impossibility of emptying without their use.
Of course, such consequences are possible, but not necessary. However, suppositories are considered a safe and cheap way to get rid of constipation. To date, the choice of these drugs is huge, because anyone will find a suitable tool.
Exercise against constipation in the elderly
In the treatment of constipation in people of advanced age, you can include a number of gymnastic exercises. Physiotherapy exercises optimizes intestinal motility and improves its functioning.
Most of the exercises from such programs are performed with a large number of repetitions with spring movements. This method promotes the movement of feces in the intestines.
Exercises can be performed with weight and resistance. Mostly, the block includes loads on the abdominal region. The average pace is used. Running and squats will benefit.
Such a program would be ideal for intestinal atony.
If spastic constipation has become a problem, then exercises are best done at a slow pace. In this block, it is better to limit the load on the press and use a combination of tension and relaxation in equal proportions.
Examples of the most effective exercises:
- lying on his stomach, it is necessary to raise straightened opposite arms and legs, stretching the spine,
- lying on your stomach, alternately move your bent legs forward, without lifting them from the floor,
- lying on his stomach, imitate arms swimming with brass,
- relaxation in a pose lying on his stomach, his head on bent arms, hips sway from side to side,
- lying on your stomach, spread your arms around and tightly close your legs, raise the body and hold it for one minute at the top point,
- put your hands on the floor from the prone position and smoothly move to all fours, then continue moving and put the pelvis on your heels, return to the prone position,
- exercise “plank” up to 1 min.
Great benefits in the fight against constipation are swimming in the pool thanks to a natural massage of the whole body.
It's important to know! Swimming will only be useful if you have a proper meal schedule.This can be done 2 hours before class or 1 hour after it.
Principle of action and positive aspects
Laxative suppositories have a stronger effect than tablets with a similar effect or powders. They also have the following properties:
- Means of quick action - emptying occurs in the next 15 minutes,
- Minimum side effects
- Addiction comes later than when taking pills,
- Localized action, that is, suppositories do not affect other parts of the digestive tract, the cut of the rectum.
The necessary action occurs due to the following effects:
- The intestinal mucosa is irritated,
- A special mucus is produced, enveloping the compacted feces, which facilitates their promotion,
- Gassing is increasing.
After the onset of bowel movement, the intensity of abdominal pain caused by constipation decreases, health improves and discomfort disappears.
Suppositories for constipation in the elderly must be used in accordance with the following rules:
- Laxative candles should not be placed more than once a day,
- It is better to administer the drug 25-40 minutes after the first meal (there may be exceptions for certain drugs),
- Suppositories are kept in the refrigerator,
- Before and after the procedure, wash your hands well,
- For setting a candle, it is best to take a position on the left side, pulling the bent right leg to the stomach,
- After the procedure, you can not rise sharply. It is advisable to lie down for about 10 minutes, until the urge to defecate.
When using laxative suppositories, it is advisable to follow a special diet and consume a sufficient amount of fluid daily. If there are no contraindications, you should perform light exercises or visit a masseur.
Quick suppositories for constipation in children
If a child has constipation, any mommy seeks to alleviate the condition of her baby faster and help him empty his intestines. But we, dear parents, must understand that for softening and absorption of suppositories in the intestine a certain time is needed. Glycerin or sea buckthorn candles require for this from 20-30 minutes.
If this period seems too long for you, try Bisacodyl suppositories or their analog Dulcolax. True, this drug has disadvantages: it is recommended for children from 6 years old, therefore it will not be suitable for infants and preschool children, and has a wide range of contraindications. But, according to user reviews, the effect occurs within a few minutes after the introduction of the suppository.
The action of Bisacodyl is aimed at stimulating intestinal motility. The medicine helps well with atonic and hypotonic constipation, but with spasms of the intestinal muscles it is better not to use it, so as not to worsen the condition of the child.
The dosage of the drug is determined by the age of the patient. Babies from 6 to 12 years old are given half a suppository 1-2 times a day. Teenagers from 12 years old - 1 pc. in a day. Continue treatment for no longer than a week.
Thus, Bisacodyl, although it acts quickly, but with it you need to be careful and apply only in emergency cases and in children over 6 years old.
Types of suppositories that are used in pediatric practice
Children under the age of one year after consulting with their doctor can use glycerin or sea buckthorn suppositories.
For the treatment of children 2-3 years of age and older, gas-forming suppositories can also be used (carbon dioxide irritates the intestinal wall and stimulates the evacuation of feces).
If the candles did not help
It happens that the use of laxative suppositories does not bring the desired result. Most often this happens with a constipation of a psychological nature. In such a situation, it is recommended not to rush to increase the dose or duration of medication.
To solve the problem, you must try:
- regularly massage the baby’s abdomen,
- give baby some water
- enrich the diet of a nursing mother with products with a laxative effect,
- expand the child’s diet and introduce fermented milk products.
Children over the age of one year are recommended to do gymnastics. Particular attention should be paid to the diet and drinking, you can apply recipes from folk sources. But they do this only after consulting a doctor.
How are candles different from other forms of laxative?
To cope with a delay in the stool, you can use means with a laxative effect. These include enemas, oral medications, and suppositories. The use of enemas or tablets leads to the forced disposal of the body from feces. Useful microorganisms are removed along with feces, intestinal microflora are disturbed. Laxative suppositories otherwise affect the children's body. They lead to liquefaction of the stool, due to flatulence and abdominal pain.
With frequent constipation, oral medication is addictive, lazy bowel syndrome develops. The child’s body loses its ability to cleanse itself, it requires constant stimulation. Frequent washing of the digestive organ with an enema, accompanied by irritation of the anus, can cause hemorrhoids.
Rules for using candles
The specific choice of a remedy for constipation for older people is best agreed with the doctor. The use of the drug should be carried out in accordance with the instructions, however, for older people, there may be their own characteristics associated with the modes and doses, which should also be clarified by a specialist.
In general, the rules for inserting a candle into the anus are as follows:
- Before each session, it is necessary to ensure complete cleanliness of the hole, for which conduct appropriate hygiene procedures.
- The injection procedure itself is carried out lying on the left side. The candle is inserted full length into the anal opening.
- After administration, it is best to remain at least a quarter of an hour alone.
- At the same time, to enhance the effect, you can do a small massage of the abdomen. To do this, stroking movements are made around the navel with a gradual increase in the diameter of the impact. The pressure should be light - you need to focus on your feelings.
General Information on Delayed Defecation in Young Children
In children of the first year of life, bowel movements usually occur daily. In the absence of stool during the day they talk about constipation.
The following factors can cause a delay in defecation in such a baby:
- Change in nutrition. The pathological process can develop in children who were breastfed, with the introduction of complementary foods in the diet or with a complete transfer to artificial feeding. In this case, it may take some time until the child's body adapts to new food.
- Lack of mobility.
- The use of iron preparations. Because of them, feces will become more dense, and the child will have constipation.
- Infectious diseases, intestinal diseases, congenital malformations.
In older patients, the cause of constipation may be malnutrition, physical overload, stressful situations, inadequate fluid intake, a sedentary lifestyle, and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to use?
An important point is the hygienic part of the procedure. Rinse thoroughly the anorectal area and hands with antibacterial detergents and only then proceed with the introduction of the suppository.
How to enter suppositories:
- You need to lie on one side and slightly bend the leg in the knee and in the hip area.
- Having moved the buttocks, slowly introduce the suppository rectally. Candles are introduced into the anorectal region, pushed to the length of half a finger. It is important that the candle fully enters and cannot be torn off by the muscular movements of the anus, simply speaking, so that it does not pop out.
- Lie down a bit.
Massage the abdomen with light circular strokes in a clockwise direction will enhance the effect of the product. It is impossible to press strongly on the stomach during massage, only soft and gentle movements with light pressure.
Defecation should be expected within an hour if you used a quick-acting type of agent or after five to six hours if it is a suppository with a mild laxative effect.
The regular use of candles is not practiced. This is basically a “standby” tool to mechanically fix the problem.
Types of candles
Rectal suppositories from difficult bowel movements are divided into several types. The classification is based on the mechanism of action and the composition of the dosage form.
- Gas-forming suppositories contain a component such as sodium bicarbonate. After dissolution of the suppository in the rectum, bicarbonate interacts with other components, and this process leads to the formation of a large number of gas bubbles. Bubbles stretch the capsule of the rectum, irritate receptors and thereby peristalsis becomes better.
- Glycerin. Glycerin, which is part of the preparations, dissolves in the rectum, softens dense stool, and they quickly leave the intestine. Glycerin suppositories act mildly, do not lead to pain, and therefore older patients can be used for short-term problems with bowel movements.
- Annoying suppositories from constipation are used if the pathology is caused by a violation of peristalsis or hypotension. The laxative effect is achieved mainly due to irritation of the receptors and stimulation of mucus secretion from the walls.
There are several other types of suppositories that help with constipation. But their primary mechanism of action is aimed at eliminating diseases or inflammatory reactions in the rectum.
With the same active substance there are Glycelax, Glycerol suppositories, at a price they are about the same level as Glycerin suppositories. You can use liquid glycerin, which is injected into the rectum.
Glycerin suppositories have several contraindications for use. In such cases, the drug is recommended to be replaced with analogues, which include:
- Duphajeli - a medicine in the form of lozenges for resorption, has a laxative and probiotic effect on the intestines (possible from 3 years),
- Picolax - activates intestinal motility as a result of stimulation of nerve endings (shown from 10 years old),
- Microlax - the drug is made in the form of microclysters for rectal use (it can be used from the first days of life),
- Espumisan baby - is prescribed for constipation with increased gas formation.
In some cases, suppositories with glycerin are replaced by oral syrups Dufalac, Lactulose, Portalac, Normase.
For the treatment of newborns, a gas tube is used, which helps to cope with flatulence and normalize stool. The decision to replace the laxative is taken only by the attending physician.
Inexpensive and effective suppositories
Suppositories are available in blisters.where they are packed in pieces. Foil or plastic packaging. The shape of the suppository is standard - a cylindrical type, narrowed on one side, streamlined.
For different types of suppositories, their own storage conditions: both refrigerated and at room temperature can be recommended.
Can I put candles for children?
Children are recommended to use glycerin suppositories for constipation or microclyster.
Child constipation is also a fairly common problem. And you need to deal with it quickly and thoroughly, but not on your own. Be sure to consult your doctor about taking medications, since the child’s body is not yet so strong as to digest everything that is shoved into it.
Glycerin suppositories are best used.They have a milder effect on the children's body, do not have side effects and are available in a children's dosage. This also includes microclyster, which is used even by infants.
An overview of microclysters for constipation can be found here.
Sea buckthorn oil
The active substance here is an oil extract from the fruits of sea buckthorn. Suppositories are administered rectally twice a day: in the morning after breakfast and just before going to bed.
Contraindications: intolerance to the substance, acute form of hemorrhoids. Allergic reactions are possible.
The active substance of these suppositories, getting into the rectum creates an oily film on the stool and lubricates the intestinal wall. This facilitates and accelerates bowel movements. The healing and antimicrobial action of the properties of sea buckthorn is a bonus.
This is a natural, harmless remedy. The laxity effect will have to wait, because the effect of sea buckthorn oil is a mild haarkter.
Cons is that it can be a strong irritant, and with wounds on the mucosa give discomfort in the form of burning.
Prices in the Russian Federation from 70 rubles per package with 10 suppositories.
Suppositories with anesthetic. Can be used as a laxative. Papaverine in its actions is an analogue of No-Shpa. Relieves rectal cramps, releasing the intestines. Use one candle per day.
Advantages and disadvantages. Not suitable for everyone, but at the same time it neutralizes constipation well with spasmodic causes. It can act very quickly, but this is not always the case.
Contraindications and side effects:
- individual intolerance to the drug,
- acute gastrointestinal diseases,
- disruptions in cardiac activity.
For children, infants and pregnant women, it is prescribed only on the recommendation of a doctor.
Prices in the Russian Federation from 80 rubles.
Types of candles
Children's preparations for constipation are presented in the form of suppositories, suspensions, tablets, powders, ointments. The most effective and safe method is candles. They will quickly help the child, eliminating unpleasant sensations. Affect the body locally, unlike syrups and tablets.
The list of acceptable suppositories for children includes two types of candles.
What is the danger of constipation in newborns
Irregular bowel movement can provoke the development of toxic poisoning in a baby due to the breakdown of feces in the bloodstream through the intestinal wall. The child loses his appetite, sleeps poorly, becomes restless, vomiting may occur, which further complicates the state of dehydration. The dense consistency of feces during bowel movements injures the intestine and anus with the formation of cracks. Defecation becomes painful and psychogenic retention of the stool may develop.
Laxatives for children are extremely rare. In such cases, it is much more important to normalize bowel movement in a natural way. If defecation occurs every other day - this is not constipation. Parents should start to worry if bowel movement does not occur for several days. To facilitate the baby who is breastfeeding, it is worth doing gymnastics, stroking the tummy in a warm bath clockwise, laying it on its side.
If the baby suffers from constipation, the mother needs to analyze her diet, drink apple juice or prune decoction, and take an analysis for intestinal dysbiosis. If the methods do not help, you need to contact the pediatrician for the appointment of funds for constipation. He may advise introducing a cotton swab lubricated with liquid paraffin into the anus and twisting it slightly. Any mechanical irritation of the intestines, microclysters with soap, Microlax should not be the norm.
All candles are only similar in appearance. Each of them has a different effect on the intestines.
Rectal suppositories can be of different types depending on the form of release, dosage, active substance, on how they act on the intestines and the body. To pick up you need a laxative, it is better to focus on the type of constipation, as well as on side effects and contraindications, and only then on all other criteria.
Indeed, it often happens that people, in pursuit of a quick and cheap remedy, choose a drug that, in the future, causes a one-time constipation due to stress into a chronic disease.
Be careful when choosing candles for constipation, choose safe, not just cheap remedies.
|Group of candles||How do they act||What constipation are used||Examples|
|Glycerin||Glycerin irritates the receptors of the intestinal mucosa, and stimulates its motility. With hemorrhoids, they are able to heal wounds.||Proctogenic constipation||Glycelax, Glycerin suppositories, Glycerin, enemas Microlax also on a glycerin basis|
|Gas-forming||Carbon dioxide inflates the intestinal wall, making the stool passage large, stimulate the production of mucus, irritate the intestinal wall, increasing peristalsis,||Proctogenic constipation||Ferrolax, Bisacodyl, Calciolax, Evacue, Dulcolax|
|Emollients||Soften feces, retaining water in the intestines||Constipation||Sea buckthorn candles|
|Papaverine candles||Beneficial effect on the intestines, strengthen its walls, relieve cramps and pains, prevent bleeding||Proctogenic constipation||Papaverine hydrochloride|
There are also candles with glycine (glycine and glycerin are different things - do not confuse), candles made from soap, which can not be used in any case. They only exacerbate the problem and disrupt the intestinal microflora.
The most highly effective and safe suppositories to solve the problem of constipation in young children - with glycerin. As an active ingredient, suppositories contain glycerol in a dosage of 1.5 grams. Glycerol is not absorbed through the rectal mucosa in newborns, has an irritating effect. As a result, there is an increase in intestinal motility and the promotion of feces. The effect is complemented by softening feces due to the fat base of suppositories with glycerin.
Children's candles with glycerin can be chosen for use in children from 3 months as a symptomatic treatment of constipation. If necessary, prescribe safe drugs at an earlier age - in newborns - you need to consult a pediatrician. Contraindication is individual intolerance to the components of suppositories or inflammation in the rectum. Glycerin suppositories are used rectally in the amount of 1 piece per day. The effect occurs 5 minutes after dissolution - the fastest remedy.
In order not to deliver the uncomfortable sensations to the baby and correctly place the candles, the following is recommended.
- Put the child on his left side.
- The baby's legs bend at the knees.
- Lubricate the anus with petroleum jelly or baby cream.
- Preheat the suppository in the hands and insert it with a narrowed end into the rectum.
- Closing the buttocks, because from getting a foreign body, babies begin to push reflexively, as before emptying.
After the drug enters the intestine, it immediately begins to act. The bowel movement can be expected in 20-30 minutes.
How to choose?
Much depends on the age of the child. In the period up to three months, without special need, the use of any medication is undesirable. It is better to make an enema or apply "Microlax".
“Microlax” is a ready-made microclyster with a volume of 5 ml. She looks like a tube with a tip. For children older than three years, the tip is inserted the entire length, at an earlier age - to the middle of the length (to the mark). There is a release form with a shortened tip - especially for newborns and young children. Such babies up to three years of age are introduced to the full length.
The solution from the enema "Microlax" acts quickly - within 15 minutes from the time of administration. At the same time, the action is mild - the child will not worry because of unpleasant sensations.
From 3 months of age, you can use candles:
- “Glycelax” for children (dose 750 mg),
- "Bisacodyl" 10 mg of the manufacturer "Altpharm" (allowed from two years),
- “Sea buckthorn oil” rectal suppositories (the best quality is demonstrated by the manufacturer “Nizhpharm”).
Mom's role in preventing constipation in a child
The best prevention of constipation in newborns when they are breastfed is considered to be a properly balanced mother's nutrition. The diet should have enough fermented milk products that positively affect the intestinal microflora, but with a fat content not exceeding 3%. Use less “fastening” and allergy-causing foods. It is recommended to eat beet salads with the addition of steamed prunes, but not to abuse them. Other vegetables, herbs, fruits, flaxseed, cereals from whole cereals are also useful.
The troubles with the tummy, when eating the “right” foods and mixtures, an adequate drinking regimen, and daily exercise in healthy babies remain in the past after 6-7 months. Kids develop well, gain weight, the chair becomes regular, and children will not have to light candles with constipation.
Why constipation is dangerous
Emptying problems are a common problem among adults. In recent years, babies are increasingly faced with it. Cases of prescribing candles by doctors are not uncommon. Constipation causes discomfort in the abdomen, crumbs, dangerous by other manifestations:
- The formation of cracks in the intestine - feces accumulate and condense, passing through the delicate mucosa, they scratch the membrane,
- Decreased immunity of the child, as a result of poor bowel function, the body becomes vulnerable to diseases,
- Harmful substances that must go out with feces are absorbed into the bloodstream, intoxication of the body occurs, the general condition worsens,
- The intestine absorbs worse nutrients and trace elements.
In extremely rare and severe cases, prolapse of the rectum in the baby is possible as a result of constant constipation.
What candles are allowed from 10 years old?
If constipation occurs in a child older than 10 years, it is much easier to choose medications to facilitate bowel movements. Moms do not have to "puzzle" how to help the baby, because most of the medicines for adults are allowed for use at this age.
You can choose salt preparations with a laxative effect, use not only suppositories, but also tablets or capsules for internal use.
However, many parents continue to seek rectal suppositories for help. For children after 10 years, all of the above drugs are suitable. If you habitually use glycerin or sea buckthorn suppositories, put 1-2 pcs. in a day. Use Viburcol as needed: the maximum dosage for adults and adolescents is 1 pc. 3-5 times a day.
What else can be done with a delay in defecation in an infant
Drug therapy for delayed bowel movements in infants can be difficult due to the fact that not all drugs can be used to treat children of this age. The prescribed drugs should be used exclusively in the dosage indicated by the attending physician, before using the drugs, you must carefully read the instructions for use.
|Microclysters||Can be used to delay defecation in babies from birth. The effect occurs within 5 minutes after setting microclysters. They help soften solid feces and remove them from the body. Contraindication to use is severe inflammation in the anus.|
Before setting the microclyster, its tip can be greased with warm vegetable oil, after which, having laid the baby on the stomach, the tip is inserted into the rectum to the mark applied to it. Then the contents of the tube are squeezed out, the child is left to lie on his stomach for several minutes.
|Massage||If constipation occurs in infants, a light massage of the abdomen helps, which consists in circular strokes clockwise.|
|Gymnastics, warm baths||They contribute to the improvement of metabolic processes due to the activation of blood circulation, have a general strengthening effect.|
|Nutrition correction||With constipation in infants, they pay attention to the nutrition of the mother and adjust her diet. If the child has switched to artificial feeding, sour-milk products can be added to his diet, and it should be remembered that old kefir (3 days or more) can have a fixing effect, therefore, it should not be given.|
Microclysters, in particular, Microlax, have an effect similar to that of glycerin suppositories
When candle assignment is needed
The older a person becomes, the more carefully he needs to monitor his health. In older people, due to age-related changes in tissue, they lose elasticity, and muscles lose their tone. This serves as a prerequisite not only for the appearance of constipation, but also for the development of many diseases.
As a symptomatic treatment, the doctor may prescribe various laxatives for constipation (constipation), including suppositories. However, it should be understood that they act only locally at the site of application and do not eliminate the actual cause of the pathological condition. In addition, not all young people are allowed candles.
Laxative suppositories for constipation for the elderly are necessary in the following situations:
- Constipation proctogenic nature. This condition is due to a delay in feces only along the rectum. In some cases, constipation begins at a higher level, where the candles simply will not have any effect.
- Acute constipation. In this case, the problem is not chronic in nature - fecal retention may be associated with a change in climatic conditions, changes in the diet or insufficient fluid intake.
- As a complex therapy for chronic constipation. The appointment of suppositories in this case is possible only after passing a thorough examination and establishing the cause of the pathology. The drugs are selected by the doctor based on the data obtained and the severity of the condition of the sick person.
Very often, chronic constipation at this age appears against the background of other steadily progressing diseases - atherosclerosis, parkinsonism, diabetes mellitus, prolonged depression.
- Suppositories from constipation for the elderly can be a salvation with atonic or spastic constipation, when the tone and motility of the intestine are impaired.
Overview of Effective Laxatives
There are many suppositories that can be used by adults with bowel problems.
Among the most effective are:
- Microlax. It is presented in the form of a solution for enemas. The action of the drug is aimed at diluting the contents of the intestine, which contributes to the displacement of fluid in the feces and the provision of a laxative effect. If you follow the instructions, the drug will begin to act in 15 minutes.
- Relief This tool comprehensively affects the body, contributing not only to eliminating constipation, but also eliminating pain in the anus after surgery. Suppositories can also be used during therapeutic measures aimed at eliminating hemorrhoids.
Regardless of which drug is chosen, it should be used only as directed by the doctor and according to the instructions.